Chapter 24

After speaking to Kaveesha yesterday, I couldn't write my assignment at all. I got distracted and started feeling sadder that I cried the whole time on the bus while returning home. Some people even gave me weird looks but I could not stop. I kept listening to sad music and wallowed in my sadness.

The worst part is that my assignment still remains undone and I only have three more days to go. So, although I have already taken too many leaves, I messaged James and informed him that I won't be coming in today too. I must somehow utilize today and the weekend to get this assignment done.

I haven't left my room since the time I woke up. In fact, I haven't even got off the bed. I've spent the last two hours stalking people on Instagram. At first, I stalked those influencers I used to be jealous of. Most of them are doing much better than earlier.

Especially, one of these girls who I thought will never even get followers because of her poor photography skills has actually become a real deal influencer now. She has also got engaged to her boyfriend and I felt so jealous looking at her pictures and videos.

I mean, I checked her out 3 months back and she looked like a loser. But now she's a star. How did her life change so positively while mine just shattered to pieces? She is super fair and rich — there you go, that's how it worked out for her! How unfair life is!

I also stalked Sameer's IG through a fake profile I created for this purpose. Though his profile is private, I did find something that made me very angry. He has updated his bio with a stupid quote that says,

Never regret your past.
Rather embrace it as the teacher it is.

What the hell does that even mean? He sounds as if I ruined his life when in reality he was the one who did that to me. He probably wants others to think that I initiated the breakup. What a moron!

I know I should be hating him for whatever he has done, but strangely I still feel only sad when I think of everything. Why couldn't we make it work?

Maybe we both were too hasty with our decisions. But did I even have a chance to make a decision? It was his call. If only he had given me another chance!

And now that I have successfully got my feelings hurt, I cannot even think of getting out of bed to work on the assignment. Congratulations, Ilhaam!

As I keep crying, I hear a knock on the door, along with Salima calling out my name. Why would she come home at this time? This is strange.

I guess mom asked her to come to check on me. I generally don't lock up the door from inside but today I did it and mom probably got scared.

"Ilhaam, open the door. I have to show you something" says Salima. I'm not going to open the door for that. What is she going to show me? Sameer? Nah! Probably something stupid. I can't be bothered. If I let her in, she would sit here and start advising me, like I even need it.

So, I say, "No Sally. I am working on my assignment. Please don't disturb." She knocks a few more times and says, "Just a minute. Open, will you?"

I ignore her without even responding that the knocks stop after sometime. I know I'm being a total moron, but it's okay, I need my space now.

 I know I'm being a total moron, but it's okay, I need my space now