Chapter 8

THE PUPPETMASTER

There was a full moon out in the sky, Persephone feeling her skin crawl as she itches her wrist and sighed, seeing the scar hadn't gone away from the Earth Kingdom incident

There was a full moon out in the sky, Persephone feeling her skin crawl as she itches her wrist and sighed, seeing the scar hadn't gone away from the Earth Kingdom incident. Sokka was trying to tell scary stories at the campsite, and Persephone rolled her eyes at him. "Suddenly, they heard something down the hall, in the dark. Ooh..." he sang out, Persephone laying her head on Aang's lap. "He came into the torchlight. And they knew the blade of wing-fun was hunted! Ah-ah!" He stated, placing his sword in the fire and Persephone sighed.

"I think I liked 'the man with a sword for a hand' better." Aang told him.

"Water Tribe slumber parties must stink." Toph told the two.

"No, wait, I've got one. And this is a true southern water tribe story." Katara told them.

"Is this one of those 'a friend of my cousins new some guy that happened to' story?" Sokka asked, sitting back down while Persephone got up and scooted closer to him.

"Don't interrupt her." She teased, leaning her head on his shoulder.

"No, it happened to mom." Katara said, and that got everyone's attention as they listened closely. "One winter, when mom was a girl a snowstorm buried the whole village for weeks. A month later, mom realized she hadn't seen her friend Nini since the storm. So mom and some others went to check on Nini's family. When they got there, no one was home. Just a fire flickering in the fireplace. While the men went out to search mom stayed in the house." She said, Persephone looking up at the moon and feeling her blood pump faster.

She thought maybe it was just the story, getting her scared. "When she was alone, she heard a voice. 'It's so cold, and I can't get warm.'" Katara said in a creepy little girl voice. "Mom turned and saw Nini standing by the fire. She was blue, like she was frozen. Mom ran outside for help, but when everyone came back Nini was gone." Katara finished.

"Where'd she go?" Sokka asked, holding tightly on Persephone as he was shaking.

"No one knows. Nini's house stand empty to this day. But sometimes, people see smoke coming up from the chimney like little Nini is still trying to get warm." Katara finished and Toph gasped.

"Wait. Guys, did you hear that? I hear people under the mountain, and they're screaming." Toph said, everyone cuddling close in fear.

"Pft, nice try." Sokka said.

"No, I'm serious, I hear something." Tooh tried to tell them.

"You're probably just jumpy from the ghost stories." Katara said while Persephone looked back up at the moon.

"It just stopped." Toph said weirdly.