An angel

"Han, you don't have to worry. I'm here."

I really hope so. Mom wouldn't like it if her favourite daughter drunk their life a way.

"I'm not the favourite, little miss perfect! I gotta go now. Bye."

Bye, Lenny!

Lenna slipped her phone in her pocket and went inside. A month had passed since her first meeting with doctor Cho. She had since gotten her prothesis and had trained with it. Her limping was quite obvious and she still used one of her crutches for support but other than that she was doing fine.

"Hey, doc. Before you ask, I'm doing fine and I have started taking walks in the park." Lenna said when she entered the office. "It's good to hear. I won't hold you any longer then. You can go downstairs to the gym. Garrett is ready for you there." Cho smiled to her. "Roger that." Lenna said and left the office.

"Hello?" Lenna opened the door and stepped in. "Oh, hi, Sarge." Garrett approached her. "So what are we doing today?" Lenna asked smiling.

---

"Mmm... Hello everyone... My name is Sergeant Lenna Higgins and I lost my leg during a mission." Lenna introduced herself to the other veterans. They all seemed nice and very supportive but most of them were over sixty and male. She sighed a bit when she sat back down.

It wasn't her first time in the veteran center but she hadn't really talked to anyone there before.

An older man patted her arm. He whispered: "I'm Colonel Roger Davis." "Good to meet you, Rog." Lenna whispered back. "Something tells me that we are going to get along just fine, lass." Roger laughed quietly. Lenna smirked at him nodding her head.

---

"Four days straight, lass. You have no life?" Roger chuckled. "Good to see you too, Colonel." Lenna patted his shoulder when she passed him. "And it's actually seven days straight."

She sat across from him and took out a card pack. "You know how to play poker?" Lenna asked while shuffling the cards.

"Lass, you are killing me!" Roger chuckled when he threw his cards on the table. "Don't be so dramatic. It is just a game." Lenna laughed when she started to gather the cards.

Suddenly a loud crash came from outside. Lenna was immediately on her feet and her eyes were wide open with fear. She practically ran outside with some others close behind her.

She found herself in the middle of a car crash. There were yelling and smoke and people running around her. It was all too much for her so she knelt down and covered her ears with her hands and held her eyes closed. The memories of that terrible night flashed before her eyes.

A hand on her shoulder woke her from her mind. She slowly opened her eyes and turned around. "Come here, lass." Roger whispered and patted on his lap. Lenna tried to stand but when she couldn't she chuckled in defeat: "Oh, I would love to, gramps, but it seems that I can't." Another veteran lifted her and placed her in Roger's lap in his wheelchair.

"I got you, Len."

---

Lenna laid in her bed. She couldn't sleep because of what had happened that day. She felt tears rushing down her face with the stinging feeling in her eyes. She had taken off her prothesis for the night and because of that she didn't want to look down. The fact that she didn't have a leg anymore was still too painful for her even though she didn't let it seem like it was bothering her. She wanted to be strong for everyone around her and tried to fool herself with the fake ignorance.

"Fuck!" Lenna finally yelled out when her mind was too loud. She tried to stand but she forgot about her loss of limbs for a second and down on the floor she was. "Fuck, fuck, fuck!" Lenna mumbled out when she tried to get up on the bed again. When she finally pulled herself up she buried her face deep into the pillow.

When she still couldn't sleep she picked up her phone.

"Rog, I need a pep talk."

Lass... Do you know what time it is?

"Yeah, it's zero four hundred. I know it awfully quite good."

Come get me. I'll wait you by the door exactly zero five hundred.

"You got it Colonel."

---

Lenna walked up the pathway to a lovely house. When she got up the stairs, Roger opened the door for her. "Hi, lass." he greeted her quietly. "Hey, Col." Lenna smiled. "Lets go have a stroll around the park." Roger smiled. Lenna stood behind his wheelchair and pushed him towards the street.

"So what did you want to talk to me about?" Roger asked. "Well, I hoped that you could help me escape that awfully loud mind of mine." Lenna said while tapping against her temple. "Oh, so you need a shrink. I can be that. Tell me what troubles you." Rog chuckled. "Oh where do I start?" Lenna laughed. "How about from the beginning?" Rog offered. "I'm going to warn you, it's not a particularly happy story." Lenna chuckled sadly.

"I rolled off Nelson and then I saw the stars shining over me. The explosion made my ears ring and it seemed like the time had slowed down. My partner's words were muffled out but I could see fear in his eyes. And when I looked down at my legs one was almost completely gone and, well, the other was badly burned and still has scars. I remember seeing the face of my unconscious teammate laying next to me. Next thing I remember I woke up at the field hospital all patched up and with a complete leg amputation." Lenna finished her story. "Life has been rough with you, kid." Roger sighed out. He didn't want to believe that such a fun person hid that traumatic past. "Well what can I say other than if you'd like some more coffee? The barista has stared at us for the last ten minutes pondering whether we'll take our fifth cups or not." Lenna laughed. "Oh no, not good for my heart." Roger smiled. "So back home we go!" Lenna said excitedly and started pushing Roger back the way they had come.

"Oh come inside, lass! Mary has been so annoying with her questions about you." Roger said when they arrived at his house. "Uh, yeah, I suppose I could. But I won't stay long." Lenna said watching her clock. "I'm going to order a getaway car." she joked while pulling out her phone. "Get me one too." Roger laughed while rolling himself closer to the front door.

"Hello, Happy!"

Are we still on for the drive at three o'clock, Sarge?

"Positive, I just need you to pick me up from the address that I'll send you."

Sure thing.

"You're the best, Happy!"

I know.

Lenna took a deep breath before walking up to the house. "Colonel?" she asked when she opened the door. "Here, lass." Roger's voice echoed through the hall. Lenna walked to a nice homey kitchen. "Mary, dear, that's Sergeant Higgins. The girl I told you about." Roger introduced her to his wife. "Oh, dear! How beautiful you are. Such a strong woman. I'm Mary." the old lady took a hold of her hands and looked deeply into Lenna's hazel eyes. "You look rather pretty yourself, Mary." Lenna smiled at her.

---

"Well it was lovely to meet you, Mary, but I need to go." Lenna said while grabbing for her crutch but she accidentally knocked it over. "Damn..." Lenna muttered. "Oh, honey. Let me help you." Mary offered and picked it up. "You're a real angel on earth, Mary." Lenna smiled. "You really landed a great one, Rog." she smiled at Roger. "Yeah, yeah. I know. She's mine. My darling angel." Roger smiled while looking at Mary.

Lenna saw the love that the man had for his wife in his grey eyes and at that moment she wished for someone to look at her the same way. "Well I better get going before Happy isn't so happy anymore." Lenna said and stood. "I hope to see you again, Lenna." Mary said and hugged her.