Chapter 1 | Sadie

When I arrived at Parker & Johnson Attorneys, the first thing that struck me was how big the building was. It was massive, even for Chicago. Not to mention the tall, slick structure that screamed professional. I glanced at the directory: Pro Bono Legal Services and Criminal Defense - 8th floor. As I made a beeline to the elevator, the sound of my heels clicking echoed throughout the first floor.

I wasn't used to dressing like this. Hell, the last time I'd worn heels was to the senior prom. But unlike the small law firm where I had my internship, Parker & Johnson was strictly business formal and I knew I had to make a good impression. Even if my white blouse blocked all circulation to my upper arms.

The elevator dinged, signalling my arrival to the eighth floor. Even the sound of the elevator seemed to tell me I didn't belong here. And frankly, I agreed. Despite passing the bar on my first try, I didn't have much of a resume. I attended my state college and had gotten a mediocre score on my LSATs. The fact that I was even hired by a private firm was a dream come true, even if it was for pro bono consultancy.

As I stepped out of the elevator, I was immediately greeted by a young man with a friendly smile. His dimples were so pronounced I couldn't help but smile back despite my nerves.

"Wow, you're even prettier in person," he said, his eyes widening. I felt the heat rising in my face. I'm also gay, I wanted to add. But that was a conversation for another time.

"Thanks," I said shyly. "I'm Sadie by the way. Sadie Brooks."

"Nice to meet you Sadie," he said, gesturing to the glass walls around him. "I'm Cody, and welcome to Parker & Johnson. Pretty spectacular, huh?"

"Definitely," I agreed. Also terrifying. At least his friendliness had succeeded in alleviating some of my stress.

"Follow me," he offered. "I'll show you to your nook."

As we walked through the long hallway, I tried to exude confidence. It wasn't entirely my strong suit, but the formal attire helped a little bit. "It's good to have another blonde in here," Cody said jokingly. "I'm getting pretty tired of all the blonde jokes." Great, thought I was passed that.

Cody directed me to a glass door. On the other side was a huge office divided by glass barriers. It seemed like everything here was made out of glass. "Wow, it's so luxurious," I observed out loud.

Cody chuckled. "Just wait, it gets old pretty quick." As we walked through the office, the sound of phones, keyboards, and quiet chatter filled my ears. After years of determination and perseverance, I was finally here.

"Here you are," Cody stated, pointing to the smallest desk space in the entire office. I mean, what did I expect? "Yikes, I'm sorry," Cody added apologetically.

"It's fine," I replied. It really was. A tiny desk was a small price to pay for working at one of the most exclusive law firms in the entire city.

"So if you have any questions or want like a tour or whatever, I'm one call away," he promised, imitating a phone with his hand. "My extension is 420," he added. He winked, and was promptly out of sight.

"He specifically asked for that extension number, you know?" came a soft voice behind me, making me jump slightly in my seat. "Jesus, someone's a Nervous Nelly." I turned to be face-to-face with a tall woman with olive skin standing next to me. Her brown hair was up in a perfect bun. And when I say perfect, I mean absolutely freaking perfect, no flyaways whatsoever. Her arms were crossed as she leaned against the wall of my nook. She gave me a quick once-over, and rolled her eyes.

"Hey, I'm Sadie," I got out, standing up to shake her hand.

She ignored me. "Like I care," she stated. Her dark brown eyes bore into mine, and I felt like I would crumble under her harsh gaze. "Listen to me," she spat out. "I know your type. You flirt your way up to the top. You are used to getting what you want. You pretend to be all innocent about it, but you're actually just another conniving little bitch." I stared at her in shock. "I worked my ass off to get here," she continued. "There's no way in hell you're taking it away from me."