Chapter 8 | Margot

2 Years Ago

The music was too loud. I cringed internally as somebody shouted beside me. Why was I here again? It was somebody's birthday. Maybe a friend of a friend of a friend. Point being, I had no fucking clue who they were. 

I hadn't spoken more than two words the entire evening. There was something about noisy bars that just made me feel claustrophobic. How could they sit there like that, screaming and laughing like it was nothing? I couldn't tell if it was because I was an introvert, or because I'd spent my entire life being so uptight and ambitious that I didn't know how to have fun. I just knew I couldn't be here any longer. 

I got up to go, unsurprised that nobody noticed at first.  "Bye Margaret!" somebody called from the crowd. I ignored them as I made my way to the bar. 

I sat at a stool, staring at my hands. I didn't notice when the bartender started talking.

"What?" I said distractedly, looking up to a pair of dark-brown eyes.

"I asked you what drink you wanted," he repeated with a short laugh. "A lot of stuff going on in your life right now, huh?"

"Yeah, actually," I said, sitting up. "I begin my first day of work tomorrow."

"Exciting," he replied with a grin that lit up his entire face. "Where are you working? If you don't mind me asking."

"Parker and Johnson Law Firm," I answered, watching as his eyes widened in surprise.

"So you're a smart cookie, aren't you?"

"I wouldn't call it that," I said. "Just an overachiever." 

The mystery man smiled, his eyes glowing underneath the bright lights of the crowded bar.  "I think you're amazing," he stated.

"You hardly even know me," I countered.

"But I want to, so let's start," he replied wittily as he extended his hand out to me. "I'm Christian."

I took his hand cautiously. "Margot," I said questioningly.

"I think that's a beautiful name."

"I don't really like it all that much."

"Nice to meet you, Margot."

"Same to you, Christian." His name rolled off my tongue as I said it, and suddenly my crappy night became a little less crappy. 

"I'd love to talk to you more when I'm off of work. Do you live near here?" he inquired.

I laughed. "We're not that close yet, Christian. But we can start by exchanging numbers."

As I entered my number into his phone, I felt my cheeks redden under his gaze. It felt like he understood me on some unknown level. Truthfully, I was curious to see where this would go. He chuckled to himself, causing me to look up at him again.

"I just realized, you still haven't answered my question."

"What question?"

"What's your drink?" Christian asked.

"Old Fashioned," I replied. "On the rocks."

"You have excellent taste, madam," he stated regally, grinning from ear to ear.

I wasn't sure if he was still talking about drinks.

~~~

I sat alone, reminiscing as I sipped a glass of wine in my empty apartment. It was weird to recall the first time I'd met Christian. It felt like centuries ago. The memory felt impure now, tainted by all the crap that had happened between us. I didn't even know if I still loved him, or if he still loved me. Maybe it didn't really matter.

For the third time that night, my mind wandered back to my interaction with Sadie. Even now, I wondered why I hadn't admitted to giving her my blazer. What could I possibly stand to lose? But I lied, and I still didn't know why.

Maybe I was wrong about Sadie. I saw how she fidgeted and looked downwards when she talked about Cody. Of course, I didn't really give a damn. Besides, Cody was actually an okay guy. At least he was better than that scumbag, Marcus. 

When you work in such a cutthroat environment everyday, you really begin to see the worst in people. I wondered if Sadie was just another Marcus in a really good disguise. Or was she actually as great as she seemed?

Of course, I really didn't care.