someone new

Athena's pov
Im currently 18. Im in Afghanistan with my team. My team were like a family except im the only girl and im the youngest. I've been with this team since I was 16 straight outta boot camp.
All the guys know what happened when I was younger. There the ones who encouraged me to talk with my adoptive parents. I talk to them when ever I can. I learned that there a gay couple but aren't out yet because its hard with what they do but I still don't know what that is.
Im ok with living with them. I don't really like to get close to people after what happened. Along with what happened to one of my men. He didn't get to make it back home.
Today there flying in a new guy for us. He's 19 we don't really know much about him. What they did tell us is that his last name is Johnson he was shot when he was younger and is one of the best that's why hes on our team. Hes going to be arriving on base in about 3 hours.
2 hours later
Just an hour before Johnson is set to arrive my team and I get sent out. We were sent out to find some p.o.w (prisoner of war) soldiers according to the intel the p.o.w's should be in a Afghani town 50 miles south of base.

We had to walk the whole way there. By sun down we reached the out skerts of town. Then we prepare for extraction. An hour after sun set we head in silently.
We reach the house without being seen. Were able to get in the house and search for the missing solders. Finding all ten of them in a secret area under the floor we pull them out and get out as fast as possible.
We get about half a mile out of town before we check out the solders. They were injured from torture but they would all make it.
With that we made the 50 mile trek back to base.
We all returned back to base at around 02:00. Sending the p.o.w solders to medical my team and I went to debrief the corporal on what happened during the mission.
After the debrief we all just stayed up talking seeing as we had to be up in an hour anyway.
"Hey rivers what do you think the new guy will be like" I asked one of the boys. "Well they say he's one of the best." "They say hes almost as good as you" another guy smith says.  "What do you think stan" lee asked. (Didn't even realise I did that till editing)
"Well I would prefer not to judge the man before I meet him but with what everyone says about him he seems like a good man" Just then the wake up call goes off across the base so we all head to line up.
After that everyone on base heads to mess for breakfast. Sitting at the table we continue our earlier conversation. Wondering were Johnson is the corporal approaches.
"Stan, Johnson's flight has been delayed he will be on later today. Get you and your team ready because your shipping out to Iraq tomorrow." "yes sir" and with that he leaves.
"Well you heard him boys get get yourselves ready to ship out first thing tomorrow.
After packing my things I decide to text Jay to see how him and Erin are doing.
Me:hey Jay
Jay🚔: Hey Athena how have you been
Me:ive been good. How are things with you and Erin.
Jay🚔: there going good im planning on proposing
Me: jay that's great how are you going to do it.
Jay🚔: just something small maybe make her dinner and just do it at home
Me: that sounds great she would love that
Jay🚔: what about you any news
Me: were getting a new guy today and shipping out to Iraq tomorrow
Jay🚔: let me know how it goes with the new guy and be safe I don't want uniforms at my door.
Me:alright. Let me know how it goes with Erin
Jay🚔:will do. Forever
Me:and always
After text Jay I felt better about what's gonna happen.
Seeing as all the boys still have energy we head to work out. Deciding on running we all line up to run around base. While running I pick up a conversation with rivers.
"Hey stan how are things back home" "well rivers jay is gonna propose to Erin so im hoping she says yes" "well I better get an invite to the wedding" "ill talk to Jay and see if you all can come"  Our conversation is interrupted by someone not on the team. "Hey stan how come you don't have somebody"
it was james he never liked me because of age that I got a higher rank then him and that I got a spot on the team that was supposed to go to him.

"I don't have time james"  "don't have time or are you to busy sleeping around with the team"  "shut up james your just mad shes better than you" smith says. At this point the whole team stoped ready to defend me. "What cant defend yourself stan have to send your lap dogs to do it for you" before anyone can say any thing else james is on the ground unconscious.
"That hurt my hand" one of the guys avery says. Laughing we continue on our run but we all stop at the corporals quarters.
After explaining what happened we all head out to the barracks. Arriving in the barracks all the boys gather around me to give me a hug.
"Ew get off you guys are all sweaty. I don't know how we all ran the same distance." the boys eventually let me go and we all headed to shower.
After showering there was mail on our beds.
Opening the box on my bed I started laughing at what was in the box. In the box was a pair of yoga shorts and a sports bra both with stan written across them.
"Hey stan what are you laughing at" another guy gray asks. "Give me a second and ill show you" leaving the room I change into the clothes and walk out.
"You look beautiful doll" says a voice I haven't heard since I was 15.

"Detka?"