annabeth's pov

soul, mate

/ˈsōl ˌmāt/

noun

noun: soulmate

1. a person ideally suited to another as a close friend or romantic partner.

---

That's how the dictionary describes it. It doesn't mention how, when or where you find them. It just says you do.

In my life, soulmates are meant to be found. You're told that they will come to you at some point in your life, one day.

But what they don't tell you is that it's practically impossible to find them. Your only communication device is your body.

Whatever you write on yourself shows up on them.

Whatever they write on their arm shows up on you.

It's not that complex, right? Wrong. Because there are rules. Stupid fucking rules. The rules are what make the government's little game impossible to crack...

1. You can't say your name, your appearance, who your family members are, what school you go to or your address. If you do, the message blurs out onto the person's arm; the writing becoming unclear.

2. You're not allowed to meet them. You can't set a place and time to meet or see each other. Everyone gets a chip in their arm at birth, and if you decide to meet, you're both automatically arrested.

3. Once you find them, you have to tell the authorities, and they disconnect you from the system, so the whole "writing to each other" thing no longer works.

The first message I got from my soulmate was on the night of August 18th.

Are you getting this? it said. I just turned 16.

When I first saw it, it took me a full 3 hours to figure out how to respond. Good thing it doesn't say "Read" or "Seen" every time the other sees it.

Honestly, I was freaking out. This was my soulmate. My soulmate. Meaning we were perfect for each other. And here we were, talking to each other right now.

His handwriting was tiny and barely legible. I wondered if he wrote so small because he didn't know that the writing leaves after 24 hours; he might've thought it was permanent. But that info also kinda made it harder to find your soulmate. You had 24 hours to find them every time you communicated. The system really sucked.

I am, I responded. For three hours worth of thinking, that was a pretty lame response.

Damn, that means you're older than me, the message on my arm read. I chuckled. At least he had a sense of humour.

What's you're name? it said.

Your*, I corrected. I hated when people got those two mixed up. I also hated it when they said supossebly instead of supposedly and defiantly instead of definitely.

Ah, you must be excellent in school, it said.

I am, and my name is- I stopped writing, realizing that even if I write Annabeth Chase, it'll just show up as a blur on his arm.

Oh right, he writes. Sorry, I guess, I just got excited.

That's fine, I replied. Where do you live?

New York, he answered. I sighed. Just my luck.

I live in San Francisco, I wrote.

That's perfect, he wrote.

I raised my eyebrows. How in the heck is it perfect if we live across the country from each other.

Would you like to elaborate on why that's perfect? I asked.

My mom and I are going to San Fran to visit my uncle in three days, he explained. We're staying until school starts again, so for about 3 weeks.

That is perfect! I wrote. Maybe we'd find each other after all.

Good night, FSM, he wrote. I knew it stood for Female SoulMate.

Goodnight, MSM, I responded.

A/N: just to be clear, annabeth is in bold italic and percy's in underlined italic. i hope you guys will enjoy this story!

so this chapter is a little short, but i just got started on this, so no judging :)