Tentukottai

A/N: creds to @creativi_thri for the apt title name, love you :) so here you go! long chapter, let me know what you think! :) idk how an actual tentukottai works so im sorry for any logical errors.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The first cold breeze of November hit her like a blizzard. For a girl who had only lived in the hot blistering desert like places , Kunnakudi and Trichy; and settles inside the comforts of her bed sheet by 4 in the evening, this was new.

Actually, everything about this evening was new... or ballsy for the lack of a better word (or maybe the pun is intended) . She couldn't tell you where this kind of bravery came from. She really hadn't thought about the repercussions of her actions. She had fixed in on this, on a whim, and the part of her brain with common sense was alluding her, now, that she was standing in tiny little shack at end of the barren empty road. She was gazing at one of the street light, that was flickering without a rhythm.

She wrapped the shawl around her tighter. As she looked, back to her friends, all of them shivering half in jitters of the chilly night, but mostly of quickly escalating crippling fear.

"Ithulam thevai illatha asai..." said Jenny, as she shifted uncomfortably shifting from one leg to the other, that made everyone thing it was nature's call. Bhumi and Mullai rolled their eyes at her. This was fairly the 50th time Jenny  had jumped out of the band wagon.

"Maata porom..." mumbled Kavitha, her fingers had found its place in between her set of teeth, nibbling away at a worrying speed.

"Sabaa, athan ivazho thooram vanthutom la, vidri..." reassured Bhumi, looking around as Prakash approached them with tickets in hand.

"Ungalooda sethu nanum matunane... sethan..." Prakash confessed, his foot tapping against the ground as he tried brave a straight face for them, but failed.

"Nee thane da ambala singam, unna nambi thane da nanga vathu irukom.." Bhumi proclaimed, punching his shoulders playfully, making him gulp hard, his face, scowling at his opponent.

"Singam illa sangu, unga appa oda mutta kannu appo appo mind la flash agitu pothu di, antha aal vera military officer, atche..." he muttered, eyes squeezed in regret. Why did he agree to this again?

Bhumi laughed loudly, while Kavi gave a nervous smile, her nails still at the mercy of her front teeth. Mullai made a face and pulled away those poor fingers, Kavi moved on to the right hand without even being a little bothered, by this. Mullai rolled her eyes and gave up.

"Idea kuduthava, gummnu iruka paaru, kazhuzhi Monkeeey!" chided Jenny, pulling on Mullai's hair tie, and her long raven hair fell with a bounce. Mullai hissed and scowled as she fished for the hair band from her friend. She let her fingers weave in and gather up her hair, pulling into a pony tail as she voiced her reason.

"Ai, life la silla vishyaingal intha marri thrilling a panama pona apram yenna di life'uh huh? Unnaku already mapillai fix panitanga, Iva," pointing at Bhumi, "Pg panna Chennai kalamubra, tho ivan" pointing at Prakash, appa mill' ah okkara  poran, Kavi' um nananum kunnakudi la irukome thavara, innime intha mari jolly irupoma nu theriyathu..."

Kavi nodded meekly at Mullai, with a sad smile on her face. They knew, that once they get back to Kunnakudi, they go back into that cage. The cage filled with society's prying eyes, endless jibber jabber, even about the tiniest of happenings...

"Ahnn thalai atna matum pathathu, olunga iru!," she chided, lightly shaking her arm, Kavi swayed with her pull a reluctant smile unfurling in her lips. Jenny on the other hand wasn't so sure, she looked at Mullai dead pan..