Thadaigal

A/N: talked about hostel here without even knowing how hostels in india work, so logical errors iruntha manichikongo. have a lovely read! comment away!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If they let her, Mullai was ready to bawl her eyes out like a baby, kicking and screaming that she wasn't ready grow up just yet. She wasn't ready face life's cruel manifests for her. And now that, she had seen Kathir after years, all bright and shining just like she remembered... she wasn't ready to let go of that childish, innocent pure minuscule harmeless dreams she's had over the years. 

When they left school, life's hard roots started to creep up and capture her with it's death-like grip. On one aspect she realised she could never see him as much as she wanted to, in another the responsibility of having to relive her poor father from tremulous burden of work dawned on her. Things were getting real tough real soon. So, along with the plaid skirt and two-sided plait, she let go of, or rather stow away her unrequited love, knowing it was probably a far-fetched expectancy... or so she thought she had...But no, not in the slightest. He had come in like a tornado, unearthing all her buried dreams and hopes of having an easy carefree, joyful life where she finally had her love.

And now he... looking at her! She was trying so hard not to cry and he was looking at her with so much... warmth,  like he wanted to comfort her, his body almost swayed in front towards her. His hazel brown eyes cajoled her glistening salty ones, making it so hard for her to catch a breath. 

"Ahh, yen make up ellam potchu!" whined Bhumi, wiping her under eyes, making Kathir and Mullai laugh at her. Kavi sat back down in the bench, Jenny sat beside her patting and putting an arm around her sniffling friend.

"Ippo than pakka konjamatchu nala iruka ma.." said Praskash in hopes of helping to put her mind at ease, earning him a death glare.

"Seri ippo yenna? Hostel ka?" asked Jenny looking up from Bhumi to Prakash. Kathir felt a tug inside at her words. Athukullaiya? Ippo thane pathom. 

Mullai face pulled a pout as she checked her watch again, "Time iruku di... ennku rendu manni ku than bus... 11.30 than aguthu, polam poru.." 

"Chellam nee porukalam, warden porukathu, nanum Kavi yum erkanave sevuru erri guthukanum, Latha ku phone pani back gate a theraka solanum... nee petti padukai oda vathuta, nanga innum anaga thane ponum, sign out vera panala di. Rani Panni pathuchu, tin'u katidum ..." Jenny listed frantically, Kavi's sniffling stopped and worrying ensued, as she raised her head in fright.

Kathir opened and closed his mouth not knowing when to interrupt their discussion.

Bhumi rolled her eyes, "Eh, antha warden panni ah samalichikalam di, yen apartment la vanthu thangu, oru night thane perchana illa.." she said to Jenny but Kavi shook her head frantically "Warden pissau prachana panum di!" she exclaimed, and their discussion began yet again.

At ah stretch la ivlo pesurangale, ivungaluku moochu vangatha? Ithula na eppudi pessurathu... 

Having no other choice, Kathir, cleared his throat at a random.

They girls were busy creating ruckus, and Prakash seemed to the only one who heard Kathir's strangled attempt to speak up. Being the only guy in their group for years now, he had learned how to get them to shut up, the hard way.

He drew his fingers to his mouth and let a ringing whistle at the dead of the night, Kathir was surprised how dogs didn't start howling along at the noise. The buzz of the four highly emotional girls stopped at once, with wild expression on their faces at being rudely interrupted like this. Even Kathir, looked shaken for a second at this peculiar calling.

"Enna looku, ivaru etho sollavarau, aala pessavidame neengale pessuna eppudi?", he argued to them. "Ithungala ippudithan samalika mudiyum boss, neenga sollunga.." he said paving the way for Kathir. Mullai looked at Kathir who seemed to like Prakash and his antics, she could tell from the appreciative smile he paid in return fo this favour.

"Illa, athu- Mullai bus eddukanum nu sonnala... athu mudiyathu, bus ellam strike la iruke.." he explained, kind of feeling the heat of everyones eyes on him, especially the girl that stood furtherest away from him. Distance was not a big feat for her inquisitive eyes on him, that turned to the size of watermelons at this new information.

"Ethu strike ah!! Ahyioo! Yen!" exclaimed Mullai, eyes wide and worried and instantly took out her phone from the back pocket of her jean.

"Yen nu en kitta ketta yenna arthram.." he chuckled "Rendu naala strike poitu iruke, theriyatha? Neenga inga eppudi vanthinga?" he asked them, eyes flitting around to Prakash and the group.

"Athu Prakash kita car iruku athula vanthome. Time anathum avan yenna bus ethi vidaramari plan.. ippo yenna pannuvan, appa kita sonna thituvare..." mulled Mullai, tapping her phone against her palm

"Strike anathuku nee yenna panna mudiyum?" asked Kathir, stepping forward to her, concern and kindness so evident in his eyes. Bhumi and Kavi, looked at Mullai slyly for his concern. But Mullai was too preoccupied to notice this.

"Athu illa Kathiru, appa oru varam munnadiye vara sonnaru, nan than adam pudichi evlo izhuka mudiyumo ezhuthan... ippo nalikum poi seralana, adi than vizhum.." she lamented, chewing on her lip. Kathir couldn't imagine Murgan mama even raising his voice at her, but the other parent he was sure wouldn't hesitate to do so.

"Seri appo yen kuda thangiko.." said Bhumi quipped up, to which Prakash denied. "Ai, ippo thane Jenny yum Kavi yum ohn kuda varanum nu sonna? Nee Irukarathaey one-bedroom apartment, Mullai ku eppudi di pathum?" he question Bhumi with logistics, she face-plamed at once for her airheadedness. Kathir saw Mullai's shoulders sag more in defeat.

He hated her feeling so helpless when one of her family member stood right there in front of her.  Was he invisible to her ?Did she think he would just leave her like this, in the middle of the road? He drew in a deep breath and excused himself, talking out his phone, walked away a few meters.

While he made calls, the group huddled back into discussion of possible ways to help her. But, Mullai's thoughts were revolving around something else, as glanced at Kathir's assertive stance and his eyebrows locked in seriousness. 

She didn't know if it was because she was staring like a creep or it was coincidence. But, Kathir turned to look right at her,  for the second time that night, with his phone attached to his ear. He saw her gazing at him, anxiously, and made a slow reassuring blink with his eyes. Instantaneously, she felt herself smile back gratefully. 

"Sight adicha thu pothum, un perchanaiya than inga pessitu irukom, thirumbu ma!" half joked Jenny, pulling away Mullai by her chin, away from Kathir,  towards them.

"Sight ellam illa nee chumma iru..." she uttered sadly, "Ipo yenna da panrathu.." she asked Prakash, who snorted "Boys hostel la thanguriya.." he asked her, to which Bhumi hit his arm and Kavi aimed for his foot, yet again. He howled in pain, and this time the dogs gave him company. 

Mullai muttered that he completely deserved it as she hugged Kavi for comfort, while the other giggled at his pain and the chorus from the dogs.  "Sirichathu pothum idea sollunga di!" Mullai whined.

"...Yen kuda varalam..."

.

There was a thundering silence.

.

 All five of them turned to look at Kathir, with identical gobsmacked expression on their faces...