Chapter 17

Shoto opened his eyes the next day, waking up with the sun gently passing through the curtains. He looked at the clock beside izuku's bed, to realize it was 11am. Did the boys really slept for that long? Todoroki got up from his sleeping bag  just to realize Izuku wasn't in his bed anymore.

"Midoriya?" Whispered Shoto

Seeing he was not in the room, the boy rushed out of the bedroom after changing quickly. Nobody to be seen in the kitchen either, except from a note on the table.

" I had to take Izuku to the hospital this morning for his checkup. He wasn't feeling well, so I took him earlier than supposed to. He didn't want to wake you up so we left a note for you instead. I made breakfast for you, serve yourself it's in the fridge. We will he back soon.
- Inko"

Todoroki sat on the table, worried. He would have preferred being woken up that morning than having to worry alone in an empty kitchen. Not knowing what to do, he ate what was left for him in the fridge and went on his phone, texting Midoriya how it was going, but erring right after he sent the message a notification sound coming from the boy's room. Meaning he didn't bring his cellphone with him this morning. He knew Izuku's checkup was at 10 am and was only supposed to last a bit, but it was almost 12am now. Time passed.

More time

Couple of hours

No sign of them coming back.

Todoroki had enough and went to get a hoodie, grabbed the spear key from Izuku's wall and left the place, locking the door behind him. He started running in direction of the hospital. Hundreds of thoughts were going through his head. Why was it taking so long? Was he okay? Did something bad opened?
Shoto arrived to the hospital, sweating a bit and gasping for air.

"I need to start working on my cardio again." He thought

He entered the hospital and asked the staff for directions but the hospital was huge, and he didn't know where was his friend. Which section to choose?
Kids? No.
Emergency? No.
Food court...? No.

Todoroki felt stupid for his hesitations. He started walking in the hospital, looking for a sign.
Passing the surgery sector, he appeared to have entered the urgent care section. Passing this new section, he glanced at the waiting room from the corridor. He stopped abruptly, spotting Izuku's mother in the room. Inko who looked lost in her thoughts didn't notice the boy right away as he was walking towards her.

"Um- Hey, I was looking everywhere to find you. Is Izuku okay? I texted him but his phone was at home...I couldn't wait anymore so I came." Said Shoto with a worried face. "T-This the emergency section...Is he..?" He asked in fear.

" Oh h-hello Todoroki! I'm so sorry for not calling! I didn't have any change on me for the pay phone and my cellphone was dead....I'm happy to see you here." She got up and hugged Shoto.
"He's..." Inko's eyes filled with tears. " He lost consciousness on the way here, the taxi drove us to the hospital as quick as possible. He wasn't breathing and the staffs took him in the emergency section on the spot, I couldn't even follow them...They came back and explained he fell in cardiogenic shock..."  Added Inko before starting to cry intensely.

Todoroki didn't know what to say, he was in shock. Was he going to loose his friend so suddenly? Was he going to able to say goodbye?
He hugged Inko  awkwardly, trying his best.

" They came back and told me they managed to correct the major problems as best as they could and that his state is stabilized....But he is not waking up." Whispered Inko between sobs.

She looked at Todoroki in the eyes, trying to stop crying. "I'm sorry for crying like this. I shouldn't be relying on your support right now....I just don't want to loose my boy."

"Its nothing." Said Todoroki sincere "Are we allowed to see him?"

"Not yet" She responded. " Soon, but we still have to wait for him to be transferred to another room and sector."

Todorki sat down with the mother in the waiting room. Todoroki took of his hoodie, now feeling the heat from the stress. For a time that felt too long, erring the lights clicking, until the doctor came to them, showing them the way to the new sector where the boy was now transferred. They walked anxiously all the way to his new room. They looked at eachothers  before entering to small squared place that was the boy's new designed place.
He was laying in bed, connected to monitors and pale as a ghost.

"Oh my baby-" Cried Inko in a cracking voice. Hurrying to go sit by his son's side.

Todoroki walked to the bed slowly. Not believing his eyes. Not so long ago they were talking and laughing. How could the world be so unfair to them. Why now. They were so close now. How could this open so fast. Todoroki, now also by the boy, sat on the other side of the bed in front of the mom in tears. Shoto gently touched Izuku's hand, his sight now suddenly getting blurred by the tears.

"Please don't leave me." He begged in his head. "I'm not ready. I'm not ready. I'm not ready. "

( To be continued )

( To be continued )

_________
Hewwo, Sweettea here, I decided to had some artworks to the story to make it more interesting. Should I continue? I'll understand if it's too much or not a good idea ❤️. See you soon.

-Sweettea