Chapter 18

His eyes still closed,  Todoroki could hear chatting coming from the hallway. The cotton sheets were feeling fresh and soft on his cheek. He opened his eyes, now remembering the last events, realizing he had fallen asleep while holding the other boy's hand. Izuku's mother wasn't in the room anymore, probably the one who was chatting in the hallway.

"Finally awake?"

Todoroki turned his head to see the green haired boy was smiling at him weakly.

"H-Hey! I'm sorry I fell asleep. You're awake too! I was so worried, are you okay??" Shouted Shoto getting up.

"I'm fine, don't worry...." He responded, not looking convinced himself. "My mother is outside talking in the hallway, the doctor said it was serious so..."

"I see." Todoroki looked in direction of the door

The boys started chatting and around 15 minutes later, a doctor came back with the mother. Her eyes were puffy and looked like she as just been crying.

"Mom...Are you alright..?" Asked Izuku, worried.

She looked like she was about to say something, but couldn't manage to. The doctor seeing she was struggling, decided to engage the conversation.

"I'm sorry my boy. From what we are seeing..." He looked at him right in the eyes, with compassion. "Your heart is failing."

"What?" Izuku looked petrified

"We can't do much...the illness seems to be focusing vital organs now. We can provide you with  a better room, the finest food and more place for you and your mother. But I gotta be honest, this is gonna be fatale...We can only provide you with pain killers, giving you a softer way out. I'm sorry."

The room went quiet. The two boys were looking down, eyes wide open. Midoriya's eyes were filling with tears, just like his mom. Shoto just looked petrified and empty. Izuku looked at his mother and with a sad smile asked:

"Hey, can I have some times with Todoroki?" He softly asked, he then looked at the doctor. " Thank you, I'll gladly take any room you offer me."

The two adult left the room, gently closing the door. There was now a huge silence, a hard to break one. Izuku couldn't see the expression Todoroki was hiding behind the hair falling into his face.

"Hey...I-It's alright, were gonna get through this.." Izuku said, trying the comfort his friend, reaching for the boy's face to get the hair out of the way.

"NO WERE NOT. " Screamed Todoroki getting up, tears in his eyes. The boy was boiling in anger.

Izuku almost bounced on his bed, shocked.

"No, were not gonna get through this! I WONT GET THROUGH THIS. You are going to leave and I'm gonna stay here alone!" The words were raging out of his body. " I CAN'T  just pretend it's all gonna be okay and look at you DIE." The last word he pronounced ended up in Shoto turning and punching in the wall with his fit. He watched the boy being furious, not knowing how to calm him. The silence was back in the room, some time passed andTodoroki slowly walked back to the chair and sat.

"I'm not ready to see you go...." He whispered in a breaking voice.

"I'm not ready to leave you either." Izuku responded, reaching for his friend's hand, holding it tightly.

"I feel so.... Powerless." Said Todoroki looking back at the green haired boy.

"It's not your fault, I'm so happy for you even being here...You don't know how much I'll be forever thankful."

"I love you so much. SO damn much." Cried out Todoroki.

"Me too...If I could, I would be with you forever."

The two boys hugged really tight, not wanting to let go.

"Hey....Todoroki..."

"...Yes?"

"Could you get me a snack?" Asked Izuku with a little laugh.

"......What?" Todoroki's face changed into questionnement.

"If you could see your face on this one." Said Izuku bursting in laughter.
Todoroki not knowing why he was laughing, started to awkwardly laugh with him.
"I'm starving, I'm so sorry to break the mood." He added with a weak laugh

"I'll get you something." Todoroki grabbed his hoodie and left the room, even if he would have preferred to stay with the other boy.

After the boy left, Izuku looked down at his pale hands, still somehow hoping for a miracle. Just, something. But he knew deep down his fate had already been decided. His eyes were already getting heavier, even with the care of the hospital staff and new medication, he was still weak as ever. Izuku decided he could close his eyes a bit, knowing his friend wouldn't be back soon.

( To be continued )