What a bitch

About a week has passed since the night of the party. Now I was packing boxes to move into my new apartment. I also was mentally preparing for my new job. I was basically going to be an assistant. I was fine with that but the assistant job was so narrow, it would make it harder to find the spy or spies. At least, that's what Hawks had told me.

We had been texting over the last week arranging small details. I went through a class and took a few tests that gauged whether or not I could even handle the job before Hawks payed for a whole nother apartment. The tests just made sure I could make a convincing lie on the spot, could write a decent report, and see if I had the mental capacity to see if I could handle the stress and the possible danger.

It was a difficult week. Non stop tests and training. Oh yeah! Training!

It wasn't too hard but it was tricky. I learned a little bit of hand to hand combat, but it sounds more impressive than it is. I just learned how to throw a proper punch, duck and evade attacks, get out of a few common holds, and disarm. Then I practiced those over and over again. For hours.

All in all it was fun but very tiring. I made a C in almost everything but by day 3 I was starting to get the hang of it and finished with all A's except for the report part. I got a B.

Then after all of those mentally and physically taxing hours, I had to come home and pack. It wasn't a long process because I don't have much. It just seems like a lot when you come home tired and sore.

I taped a box shut and let out an annoyed huff. When I looked over at the microwave, it told me it was six. The movers are coming at eight. I still have some of my dishes to pack, along with some bedroom and bathroom stuff that I didn't want to pack just yet. I was just about to get to that when I heard my door open and a familiar voice ring from the hallway.

"Hey bitch", the voice drew out.

I peeked my head around the corner, clutching the small fake feather that I had gotten at a hero convention. Guess who's merch it was?

"Oh my god, what the fuck? There are so many boxes. You moving?"

It was my friend that left me alone at the bar. The one who was the reason I have a new job. The one who ignored me when we went out that night.

"Oh, uh. Yeah I'm moving. Knock next time though, Ashlyn."

The brunette let out an exaggerated sigh. "I can't believe you're moving and didn't tell me! I thought we were friends", she whined, "Anyway, where are you moving?"

"You know where the Hawks agency is?"

"Oh my god tell me you are not thirsty enough for him that you moved closer to see him. You've liked him forever! He's kinda ugly."

My face flushed at the accusation. "No I'm not moving to be close to him! I'm moving because I got a job offer."

"How? Bitch, you worked minimum wage jobs all your life, how the fuck did you get a job offer", she asked rudely while sitting on my bed and taking off her heals.

"Hard work", I said, "I applied and they took me. "

"Ooh! Where are you working", she through her high heels across the room onto a box.

I was starting to take the tacks out if my Hawks poster. "Hawks agency." I muttered.

She started cackling, "Oh girl really? It's such a big city, you can't handle it. And Hawks agency? You totally lost it. Be real do you think he'll notice you like that?"

Deep down I knew she had a point. He's flirted with me but he seems to do that with everyone. "No."

"Exactly! You should just keep working your little jobs and stay here. We could totally go to the club again."