Deep talk

I was still giggling a bit from the adrenaline. We almost got caught. Not that Hawks wouldn't have taken him down, but it wouldn't look good if it came out that Hawks stole from a stand. "Payback?" I breathed.

"His cart is a front for drugs. I've seen him pass little bags of dope hidden in or under his dishes. He's also a fraud, and a prick. I bet this", he raised the case with a tea cup set", is only worth maybe one hundred... two hundred dollars, and that's assuming it wasn't factory made. That someone took the time to make this tea set. Not one hundred thousand dollars."

He was fine now but I was still catching my breath. We were between a broken fridge and a wall. There was a fridge sized box on the right, block in the view.

"No offence, but how was this supposed to fix the stand situation with the family?"

"Oh I never planned in getting that stand for them. I was going to buy their own stand. Nothing we can do in legal terms since there was no paperwork and buying stands from other people instead of the land owners is not illegal I guess but it is frowned upon. I got the money to spare."

"Oh", I said evenly.

"So... Any reason why your arms are around me?"

A sudden heat came down on my face. "I- You looked cold", I said lamely.

Oh my god shUT YOUR MOUTH. THAT'S ALL YOU COULD COME UP WITH?

I'm trying!

Yeah but " yOu lOoKeD cOlD"

I cringed inwardly, knowing my thoughts were right.

He started snickering. "Oh did I now?"

I took back my arms and crossed them in front of me, giving him a dirty look. "Look I-"

"Hold on, I never said I didn't like it, why'd you stop?" The sweet look on his face was laced with playful vexatious intent.

I stomped out of the crevasse, flustered. "Tch, whatever. "

He followed after me, grinning slyly. "Awww so you don't wanna hold me again?"

"Oh hush you", I said quickly, trying to hide my face, looking opposite his direction.

He walked to the other side of me. "Come on", he drawed out, "At least look at me, yeah? You're too cute!"

My face went redder and I turned my head once again.

"Sweetness, I said look at me."

Something was different about his voice this time. All playfulness was gone. I stopped walking about a yard or two from the end of the ally. He walked in front of me and leaned in a bit.

"You only listen when I get like this, huh? Fine. We can talk like this."

He was inches from my face and I backed up a bit, nervous and exited. He followed.

"You're getting redder. So you like being talked to like this?"

I just kept slowly walking backwards and he just kept following.

"That wasn't rhetorical."

I looked down and nodded. His rough hand met my face, his fingers on my right cheek and his thumb on my left. He wasn't squeezing but he still had control. "Well then, sweetness. What will it talk to get you to look at me."

"I-um..."

"Hm", his face was more inquisitive now that it was a moment ago, "Well I  fluster you easily. You act like a tsundere."