Ch 2: Fateful Encounter

Halfway through my shift at the cafe, I met the girl that started me on the path that changed my life. I didn't know it at the time, but no one ever knows about these kinds of things. I walked over to the newly filled table to take the woman's order. She was dressed in pearls and carried around a Louis Vuitton handbag. I put on my friendliest smile and made my way over to her table, hoping that if I played my cards right I could get a little extra tip money.

"Hi, can I get you something to drink? I love your bag, by the way, great color!" I complimented her.

"Thanks, honey, I'll take a non-fat extra foam latte." She answered.

"Coming right up!" I made my way back to the kitchen to get her order started. 

I grabbed a croissant from the pastry case and added it to the side of her plate, hoping a complimentary pastry would put her in a generous mood. 

"Honey, I didn't order this." She pointed at the croissant.

"Yeah, it's on the house. Our pastries are amazing, you should have a taste." I said with a wink.

"Thank you, honey. I've just got to ask what is a pretty girl like you doing in a place like this?"

"Oh-a my other job doesn't really cover the rent on its own." I blushed.

"Other job?" She tilted her head.

"I work as an assistant for a c-list celebrity, Brad Pitt, I doubt you've ever heard of him. Anyways, as you can imagine I need a little extra income." I said.

"Hmm, Brad Pitt... no, I don't think I have heard of him. He must be up and coming." She said trying to be polite.

"Not even." I huffed.

"Well. . . I've got a celebrity client of my own who is in desperate need of a new assistant, but I have to warn you he's a little moody. On the bright side, it pays very, very well- for as long as you can manage to keep it that is. Here's my number. Take your time, but not too long cause the position won't be open for long. It would be a shame if you missed the chance, you know with your experience and all. You could finally quit this crummy job." She handed me a piece of paper with her number scribbled on it and shot me a wink before strutting out of the door. I looked down at the table; looks like my kindness paid off. 

___

My shift ended, and I rushed over to catch my bus home. My feet were aching, and I was tired out of my mind. I thought about how nice it would be to not have to juggle two jobs at once. I played with the piece of paper in my pocket. Should I call? It couldn't hurt. It's not like working for Mr.Pitt was the opportunity of a lifetime. I gathered my courage and dialed the number.

"Hello? Who is this?" The woman from the coffee shop answered.

"Hi, this is Y/N from the cafe. I was calling about that assistant position you had mentioned earlier." I spoke nervously.

"Y/N! I'm glad you decided to call. So, are you taking me up on my offer?"

"Yes, yes I am." I grew more confident in my decision.

"Good! I knew you would, smart girl." 

"When can I come in for an interview?" I asked.

"Oh honey, you don't need an interview. You got the job. Just come in tomorrow ready for work." She said.

"Tomorrow? O-ok, may I ask for an address?"

"Don't worry, I'll text you all the info you need. See you tomorrow!" She hung up the phone.

Wow, that was easier than I thought. Now I have to quit all my other jobs–that feels so good to say. I can't believe that this is happening to me.