Ch 6: Two People, One Room

"WHAT?!" Timothée and I shouted in unison, sparking stares from the rich folk sitting in the hotel lobby. I cleared my throat and put on a nervous smile for the receptionist.

"Um, could you please repeat that ma'am?" I asked.

"I said, here's your room key. Penthouse suite, one bedroom one bathroom. Enjoy your stay." She returned the smile, seeming confused by my reaction. 

"Um . . . not to seem pushy, but didn't I reserve two one-bedroom suites?" I said letting out a nervous laugh.

"Yes, but we decided to upgrade you two. After all, this room was booked for THE Timothée Chalamet and his girlfriend. The hotel thought-"

"Yeah, okay. Upgrade. Great. Can you downgrade us now?!" I could sense my franticness was showing in my voice but I didn't care. How could this have happened? Things were already. . . tense, between Timothée and I. The absolute LAST thing we needed was to be stuck in a hotel room with just one bed. And the penthouse suite of an upscale New York hotel, no less.

"That's a good one, babe," Timothée butted in, chuckling as he wrapped an arm around my waist. I felt a year get shaved off my lifespan upon being called 'babe' by him. "She's just joking of course. All jokes, this one. You're just so, so funny babe!" His grip tightened around my waist and I could tell he was upset with how I had reacted. "We'll take the room, thank you so much, ma'am. Really, we appreciate it. Don't we, honey bun?" I knew he was calling me that because I couldn't smack the life out of him in the current setting. On the inside, I was mad about more than just being nicknamed after a subpar snack food. How could he accept the single-bed hotel room? I was forced to smile and nod for the receptionist as Timothée grabbed the key and pulled me towards the elevator. Once inside, all hell broke loose. 

"What the hell was that, Timothée?!" I tried to keep my cool on the outside since there were probably cameras inside the elevator.

"I could say the same to you. You were so unnecessarily rude to someone who was just trying to do us a favor."

"Sticking me in the same room and bed as you hardly counts as a favor in my book," I said, rolling my eyes.

"Are you dense? They think we're dating, so this does count as a favor as far as they know. And you're acting like this isn't a penthouse suite we're talking about. I'm sure there's plenty of space on the floor for me to sleep. You can take the bed." He crossed his arms and leaned against the elevator wall. The hotel had so many stories that we were still barely halfway up.

"You're calling me dense? Neither one of us has to sleep on the floor." I said shaking my head. His eyes widened and I saw a smile playing on his lips.

"I mean, yeah, if y-"

"Considering this is a penthouse suite, I'm sure there's a couch bigger than my entire bedroom that one of us can sleep on." His expression shifted and he nodded quickly, staring down at his shoes.

"Yeah, of course. My thoughts exactly." We stood in silence for a few moments before he let out a small chuckle. "Remember that old couch at my mom's place that we used to make a fort out of?" As hard as I tried to keep a straight face and stay stone-cold towards him, seeing the huge goofy smile on his face made me smile as well.

"Yeah, I think I do." Before I could say more, the elevator dinged and the door opened. I waited for Timothée to lead the way to our room since I had never been to this hotel before. He unlocked the door and I couldn't believe my eyes. The room was huge! Fancy remote-controlled curtains dressed every window, which there were many of. The hotel staff had left champagne and chocolate-covered strawberries on the table for us. I went to check out the rest of our room and was pleasantly surprised by the hot tub that was in the center of the palace-sized bathroom. At least this place was so big I wouldn't have to see Timothée all the time. He switched on the light to a big room, revealing a huge California king-sized bed covered in plush pillows and rose petals. Timothée and I glanced at each other knowingly before we both charged at the bed, jumping on it simultaneously. I curled up on the corner of the bed, overcome by a laughing fit as Timothée stood up and started jumping around on the mattress. When I shut my eyes tight enough it felt like we were back in third grade, jumping around on my parent's bed like a couple of little monkeys and howling with laughter. I heard a loud thud and was brought back to reality, opening my eyes to see Timothée had seemingly hopped off the bed and left the room. He walked back in with a huge grin on his face, one hand clutching a bottle of champagne and the other holding two champagne flutes. 

"Want a drink, milady?" He asked cheekily. I grabbed one of the soft pillows and chucked it straight at his head, rolling my eyes. "Hey, go easy on me. I'm your source of income for the next half a year." I could barely suppress a smile, knowing he was right. I sat up on the bed and he came over to the same side as me, sitting down and extending one of the empty champagne flutes towards me. "Truce?" he asked, giving me a sweet puppy-dog stare. I sighed, looking down at my lap. How was I supposed to stay mad at him? Every time I looked into his eyes I saw the same Timothée from four years ago before everything changed. I sighed and held up my champagne flute. 

"Fill me up," I said. He smirked at me, raising his eyebrows.

"Really? Well, if that's what you want. I would've preferred to take you on a proper date first, but I guess this king bed shouldn't g-" When I caught onto what he was saying, I picked up another one of the endless pillows stacked on the bed and aimed it right at his head. Timothée lifted his arm to block it, it seemed like he'd finally caught onto my new default response. "Sorry, sorry! It was a joke, calm down." He said laughing.

"Don't tell me to calm down." I snapped back. "And I'm not exactly in a joking mood right now." I crossed my arms.

"Right," Timothée said. "I can fix that," He added as he began pouring champagne into my flute. He poured some into his own glass and tipped it towards me. "Cheers?" He said hesitantly. 

"Enchanté," I said sarcastically. Upon seeing his unfaltering smile my heart softened a little and I allowed our glasses to clink. We both tipped our heads back and finished our drinks in one gulp.