Chapter Three Control

Dedicated to CristeneMankasingh
____________________________________________________________________________
November 28, 1983, Devin POV

'I can ignore it no longer. I have successfully convinced all our followers that Letica is off. Uncaring about all the children that died in her womb but looking at her now. I can see the horror, no matter how hard she tries to pretend not to feel the losses her actions give her away. My fingers grip the seal underneath the glass window as I watch My Creation arch her body off the bed screaming. Her limbs spasming as doctors and nurse's coverage on her trying to hold her down so she doesn't hurt herself. I can tell them anything and they will believe me, but I can't tell her anything now. She doesn't trust me anymore. The young man was right. She might be tethered to me, but I've broken her.'

"She can't hold the baby Devin; he is going to decay in her arms." Mevin Power whispers to me not able to decipher my mood. I ignore him looking on as her arms nestle the baby in her arms holding on to him for dear life as the nurses try to take him. I missed this birth knowing in my heart it was going to fail, they always fail. My hands curl into fists and the reminder of my constant failure.

"Devin, I waited a day before telling you. That baby has been dead going on three days now." Mevin insists to me, and I finally give him a look.

"I know... just let her hold him a little while longer," I say, feeling a foreign sympathy for My Creation. Mevin hits the intercom and the people stop bombarding her and let her hold the stillborn baby and sob over him. The two mutations earlier this year were cut out of her in surgeries to avoid this. The ten miscarriages made her silent and catatonic. The embryo wouldn't last a week, but she'd still bleed. The drugs I gave her kept her primed and ready to breed at all times. So, these last four months of her being pregnant I was hopeful that maybe it would last.

"She kept the babies for four months this time. It's getting better at least." Mevin says not realizing the agony I'm going through. On the fourth month, I knew the babies were dead and I was going to tell her but right before I could... for the first time in over a year she smiled at me. She wanted me to put a hand on her belly and she was so proud of herself. I'd broken her so much; she didn't know how to be proud of herself outside my need to have a Pure breed Omega.

"Where is baby B?" I ask, I've ignored all her needs to name them. Mevin nods to Ray.

"Ray convinced her she only had one. It bought me some time to take the second baby out. She was gone... broken. She begged me to let her hold him. And Ray had already taken Baby B down to the morgue. She didn't even cry, Devin. At first, she just whimpered over him, rocking him, and humming to him. At night she would whisper things to him, we tried to tell her he was long dead and that's when she began to scream... she hasn't let him down once. You have to go in there and tell her he is gone." Mevin says and my hands move before I can think, and I hold him by his hospital coat to the wall.

"I can't do that." I snarl into his face. His heart pumps against my hand and I just drop him rubbing my hand over my hair breathing hard. I shake my head, my hand running over my face.

"I can't do it. Get a Beta. Get someone else." I say turning to walk away when a thought hits me.

"Any progress with the Omega hormone?" I ask and Mevin shakes his head now silent and careful.

"No." He answers as I keep staring at him. 'If only we didn't need an omega... just something weaker than a beta. Something neutral.'

"Neutral," I repeat out loud and I shake my head trying to clear it.