Chapter Six Heat

Dedicated to LevetteMclaughlin, CristeneMankasingh thank you for your comments :)
_______________________________________________________________________________May 4, 1995, Mevin's POV

    "There is a certain beauty to them as if all that is good has been scrubbed out. To our very soul we know their humility, empathy, their goodness is gone. And they are left purely evil. Isn't that satisfying? We know, there are no fakes, no path, just a broken body." Devin says and one of the figures runs at the bomb-proof concrete at top speed, and the figure begins to bleed. 'They are so out of control that Devin and I have taken to watching them from fifty feet up through the explosion-proof glass.'

    "It would be humane to kill them, Devin, they are everything and nothing. Useless to a bigger picture, and Alpha no less." I try to convince him, but not for him. But for my sake. 'There are lots on this earth that frighten me to my core, but these creatures frighten me above everything.'

     "They have their uses, they are expendable. I could have hundreds more. An army even, the issue is there is no way to control them. They don't listen to reason, and despite their human-like form, they are closer to a rabid animal. The only way to bring them to a heel is a high-pitched ring to their ears. The issue is, it only controls ten at max. They will evade the order even if it means their own death." Devin says as if this is the hardest puzzle he has yet to solve.

    "What do you want from me?" I ask looking down at the Pi-Alphas, they are the beings of nightmares. 'The youth that allowed their transition as a teenager, has weathered away over the past ten years. The stronger ones' bodies are muscle-bound and scarred. While the weak ferals are gaunt and their body mass sinks into itself making the appearance of a human skeleton. But no matter how hollow they appear. They are more bloodthirsty than the strongest because they are rarely fed.'

    "Nothing Doctor, they are my assurance for a rainy day. A cold-blooded killer with no moral compass. One that won't allow any slight to pass. They kill for sport no matter age or gender. And when they die I can replace them, with ease. As my second you too must be aware of these things." Devin says folding his arms as one of the beasts looks up to the glass and roars causing the others to gaze up. The hate covering their faces is quickly abated by anger as the leader roars again and leaps at the wall attempting to climb up to the glass using his claw-like nails.

    "Hit him!" Devin orders almost in boredom and the wires weeded through the concrete glow red and then with an injured whimper the beast falls ten feet back to the hard concrete floor.

    "They can CLIMB!" I exclaim backing up from the looking hole.

    "Yes, but never worry, the furthest climber has only made it fifteen feet up. Then the claws file down and they can no longer grip. Plus the cameras are always on and there is always someone to heat the concrete." Devin says motioning me to follow him out of the titanium door.

    "Just because you can create something, doesn't mean you should," I say, forgetting my place in my fear of ever going back.

    "Don't get cold feet on me now, Mevin. I know your body count." Devin says with a ring of playfulness in his voice but I am not fooled.

    "My research was all in place to find a cure. People died for the greater good. These Pi-Alpha's should have died on the table. They are a greater evil than you nor I can control." I say and Devin glares at me.

    "They are nothing but wild animals, to which I will have and enjoy at my leisure. You just worry about making sure none of my science comes to light. You and Ray have been getting sloppy, maybe I should put more responsibility on the kid." Devin says referring to Royce, the man of mystery.