Chapter Eleven Alone

Dedicated to LevetteMclaughlin and sarissaShy. I apologize I got my chapters wrong lol this isn't the tundra... it's kinda explicit though lol.
_______________________________________________________________________________
December 12, 2015, Désiré's POV, Age 14

    "Help me be worthy, Aphrodite." Every morning, midday, and night the born half-breeds wish this. I'd call it prayers but what they are wishing is both impossible and coming soon. They are wishing for the life of an Omega. They are wishing to be Omega. And so the 'wish' goes.

"Help me be worthy, Aphrodite,

Help me be a miracle, Letica,

Help me be pure, Devin."

    'What a bunch of bullshit, they rise and begin consuming the meals that, the Rho prepares for them. Their diet is clean: vegetables, minimal sugars, and lots of fruits. And yet they still complain. The born half-breeds expect the honor of being Omega but their temperament blends closer to that of a spoiled Beta. They will never be worthy, not like this. On the other side of the banquet hall, the Turned Half-breeds are wishing to go home. They say the words but they do not mean them, they also treat the Rho, Êta, and us Gammas with respect. Because unlike the Born they are frightened. They don't understand what is happening to them. Some had lives in the out-world and were the product of trafficking, but most were homeless. They have no family to care for them, but I've heard many say they'd happily return to the streets than stay here.'

    'I do not know what it is like to be unprotected, to be depended purely on yourself for survival. To not have this longing urge to serve wired into me. While that is their fantasy, mine is to go to Candyland. There are so many rumors about that place, where it doesn't matter what dynamic you were, you were welcome. Wanted. In riskier rumors they even say... that they have Omegas-' A hard tapping smacks the table and all Gammas' heads rise from the shiny floor to see what Half-breed summoned us.

    "You there, I want something else! Bring me soup. I swear this tastes just like yesterday's food!" She, a tan-haired buxom girl named Letty, demands from a table. Her response of calling us, 'You' causes confusion. And for a moment no one moves, because if the wrong person comes forward they and the person she actually called will get a whipping from her cane.

    "Are you stupid Gammas deaf!" One of her lackeys joins her yelling from another table surrounded by more subservient half-breeds. 'I bristle and remain in place; she didn't call me, she was looking further down the line.' One Gamma stands up shakily not truly knowing if she met her.

    "Hurry up!" She booms as if we truly are deaf. The Gamma affirms she did mean her and hurries to the booth where the Rho barely peeks out. 'I do not blame them, the half-breeds are not permitted to physically punish them. But there is a grey area for humiliation... The born half-breeds like their humiliation more than the beatings.' The Gamma kneels next to the half-breed's side and gently blows on the piping hot bowl. Slowly stirring to cool it all down. The half-breed Letty watches her with clear distaste. The Gamma tastes Letty's soup with the spoon as she was trained and must decide it won't burn Letty, and hands it up with her head bowed. She huffs and snatches it, getting some soup on her bare leg. She remains sitting there until half-breed Letty slams the stick on the table again and she hurries back to our mat and continues kneeling. I blink at her slowly and she blinks slowly back. 'She's okay, then.'

    Quiet tones rise from the turned half-breed sectional and they look at us earnestly. I bite my lip, I want to help them. If they do what I think, the born half-breeds will see it as gentle, kind, and submissive. All good things, but because they lack these gentle qualities they will see it as them trying to be more 'Omega' than them. I want so badly to shake my head at them, but the petite girl does it anyway like she can't see the slow widening of our eyes. Her body slowly sways toward us and she sits in front of Kaden, my only friend here.