Chapter Ten: The Dog

Sirius' birthday was a mere four days after Violet's, meaning it fell during the school week. But Sirius Black would be damned if he didn't have the biggest party of the year no matter what day of the week, which is how Violet found herself pressed between James and Peter as they attempted to walk side by side down the secret passage way to Hogsmede, which should have fit two people at best. Both boys had an arm slung around her shoulders, as they stumbled through the dark, James' spare arm holding up his wand to illuminate the dingy tunnel.

"So Vi.." Peter started, but trailed off as his right shoulder smacked into a particularly sharp edge of the wall.

"So Peter.." She imitated his elusive aura, raising a brow at said boy. However it was James that continued on.

"How's Remus"?

"Shouldn't you know? You're the ones who share a room with him" Violet questioned with a slight tilt of her head, oblivious to what they were insinuating.

"Merlin you're thick as our DADA book Vi what he means is have you realised he's in lo-" Peter once again failed to finish his sentence, this time due to the fact that James had released Violet in order to smack him in the back of the head. Hard.

"First of all, rude, second, I don't think I even want to know what you lot are on about now' Violet laughed, before skipping slightly ahead when she saw the old wooden ladder a few steps further down the path.

But despite what she had said, Violet couldn't help but notice the intense thumping of her heart at the mention of her werewolf best friend, and wished beyond belief that James hadn't shut Peter up.

✵✵

The party was in full swing by the time Violet strode down the stairs, arm in arm with Marlene and donned in a denim jumpsuit zipped dangerously low, far from her usual and in Marls' words "unfashionable" simple cotton dresses. Automatically her eyes scanned the crowd for a certain lanky dark haired werewolf, but instead they met a brilliant green pair belonging to a certain someone with gorgeous golden curls. Violet felt Marlene's arm slip from hers and a suggestive comment was whispered in her ear before the girl beside her fled, leaving the brunette blushing and facing none other than Charlie Barnes, arm outstretched and offering her a drink.

"Wow Vi, you look stunning". This caused said girl to blush and instinctively her hand itched to fully zip up the top, but Alice's voice in the back of her head kept her from doing so.

"You too" the younger witch grinned, taking a sip of the drink passed to her and shivering as it warmed her throat.

"I was hoping to see you here, I got worried when I couldn't find you at first". Violet had indeed had her fair share of experiences with the opposite sex, but there was something about Charlie that made her stumble and scramble for words, presumably the fact that he was one of the hottest boys at school and was paying particular interest to her. Whatever it was, Violet downed her drink entirely before answering, and made sure to lead him over to the enchanted table at the edge of the room which prevented anyone bellow fifth year from grabbing anything alcoholic before continuing their conversation.

James was put in a foul mood as soon as he walked down the stairs from the boys dormitory, arm wrapped around Remus' shoulder. And Remus was even worse. As oblivious as James could be at times, he was one of the first to pick up on Remus' crush, second only to Peter who had a knack for working out secrets and had made it his goal ever since to subtly nudge Violet in Remus' direction. Meaning James had spent the past hour when he should've been at his best mates party getting Remus ready instead, forcing the boy into a shirt he remembered Violet said she liked, and helping "enhance the natural curl" in his hair, something the Potter boy had sat and watched Violet do to herself after a dip in the quarry over the summer.