5 | Welcome to the Never Ending Story

Chapter Five: Welcome to the Never Ending Story

"hard to hold this fire inside me
all I know, sometimes it's frightening
hard to hold this fire inside me
it's not really like me to lash out."
~ alice merton

M O N I C A

"You're probably a slut. Just like your mom," a cold, but sickly, familiar voice whispered in my ear, while my eyes looked around the darkness.

"I bet you want it," it mumbled, causing a chill to run down my arms, as if they were caressing me. But when my eyes looked to my pale skin, there wasn't a trace of another person. "I bet you spread your legs to anyone who says I love you. I bet you scream when you get fucked. Do you, Monica?"

No. Fuck this, and fuck him. "Go to hell," I bit out, but the second the words slipped passed my damn quivering lips, they sounded... broken.

I hated sounding broken.

"I broke your mom," he whispered with a humourless laugh. "I broke you, too."

My breath got caught in my throat the same moment I felt every bone in my body tense. "You never broke me."

"I broke you. The family. Which means, I broke you," he chuckled next to my ear once more, bringing me to unintentionally lift my shoulder as the cool feeling. "I may be gone, but that doesn't mean I'll leave you."

I sucked in a breath as he dropped his nose close to my neck, inhaling my scent sharply. Although he wasn't touching me, standing behind me, just being in his proximity brought my arm hair to rise. "Stay all you want," I forced my voice to drop several degrees. "While you're in my mind, I hope you burn in hell."

He only laughed. "—he's so cute, though!" I heard a voice whisper, and being so shocked by how smooth and feminine it sounded through all the darkness, I jumped up, startled.

Clarity began to develop in my mind as I heard his deep chuckle behind me, but all it did was rise my frustration and anger. "I hate you, you royal piece of horse shit," I clenched out, no longer afraid by the man I'd seen for so many years.

Before he could reply, my body twitched, as if I had been hit in the stomach. "You idiot," voice hissed, but a giggle followed. "Be careful!"

Slowly, the darkness was faded and replaced with a golden hue. It took me a few moments to realize that I had been asleep, and seeing how bright my eyelids looked, despite them being closed, I knew it was morning.

"Get your tit out of my face," a voice said. That was also a reminder of my current company.

"Bitch, you used to suck on tits," a voice laughed loudly. After a second, I concluded that it must have been Karen since her voice was deeper than the others.

There was an awkward moment of silence. "Not me," a sweet voice piped up softly—definitely Maddie. "I was bottle fed. My mom said that it was because she didn't want me to be too dependent on her. But dad just told me how since she pushed me out, he had to feed me."

"I was all up in my mom's business," a voice scoffed out a laugh. "She hated it though. Apparently, she had to breast feed me until I was over one—so you know what, bring your booby here, Kar."