25 | Welcome to the Crash

Chapter Twenty-Five: Welcome to the Crash

"I wish I had someone, could trust 'em
but loyalty don't come for free,"
~ tate mcrae

M O N I C A

"But..." Meredith whispered, shaking her head as she looked to the table between us. "Why?"

I clenched my jaw painfully as I looked toward the floor to ceiling windows next to me. "Mer, I need to go," I told her, keeping my tone neutral although I felt anything but.

"I know, but the next semester isn't starting until January..." she said softly, and I swallowed before focusing on her again.

She sat across from me, with the table between us. We were currently at the diner, grabbing some lunch. I offered to meet up, because I wanted to personally break the news to her.

It'd been three weeks since Halloween. Three weeks since I walked away from Liam, not seeing him since. After my departure, I began to heavily research places and jobs in Seattle, needing to leave as quickly as I could.

I signed my lease a few days back, so I wanted to tell Meredith that I'd be leaving on Sunday. Since it was currently Friday, everything was escalating quick.

"Yeah, but it's almost the end of November," I told her slowly. At the sound of that, she looked away from the table, her dark brown eyes meeting mine moments later. She looked the same, with her hair up in a tight ballerina bun and loose clothing. Both of our jackets rested on our seats, along with our hats.

She nodded with a wary smile. "I'll see you there, then," she mumbled, shifting on her seat.

"Hopefully in my apartment?" I asked, forcing a smile. "I need a roommate, you know? And my place happens to have two separate bedrooms."

Her expression instantly changed, staring at me with glee. "You still wanna live together?"

"Of course," I told her with a small smirk. "I'm not sure who else would tolerate you. I'm the best chance you got, Mer."

She snorted. "Yes, I'm the problem," she said with a drawl, shaking her head slowly. "Where's the place?"

"Ten minute walk from campus," I explained. "I'll send you everything."

"I'll start paying the rent, too," she smiled, crossing her arms above the table. But it was quickly swiped away from her face when she looked to the table again, frowning. "I just... can you at least leave after Thanksgiving?"

My lips parted, readying my response: an easy no. But before I could, I heard a door behind me open with a crack.

Looking over my shoulder, I stared down the back hall, soon seeing Darius fill the entrance, wearing slacks and a button up shirt. "Hey, Monnie," he said, his eyes shining with sadness as he walked toward me, small envelop in hand.

"Hi," I said just as he stepped to our table, sucking in a breath.

"I hate to see you go, hon, but I know Sean would be so happy for you," he whispered the same time I felt my chest tighten at the sound of dad's name. "I'm proud of you."

Once I found my voice, I stared into his dark eyes again. "Thanks, Darius," I told him with a tight smile.

He grinned this time, shaking his head with amusement as he crossed his arms. "Man, I can already see it. You doing what your dad always wanted to do," he sighed, tilting his head back, so he was staring at the ceiling.