19 | Welcome to the Truth

Chapter Nineteen: Welcome to the Truth

"you're so bad for my health
but i just can't help myself
i'm so stupid for you,
~ tate mcrae

M O N I C A

   "Have a great evening!" I grinned widely, waving goodbye to the family of six who had been sitting in my section.

   "Bye!" The sweet little girl squealed, holding her dad's hand as they walked out of the diner.

   I waited until they all left before cleaning up the surface of their table. They piled all their plates together, so the clean up didn't take long before I walked behind the counter.

   Once the dirty dishes were in the kitchen, I stepped out, only to notice Sophie standing on the other side of the bar, narrowing her eyes on me. She'd been looking at me as if I was hiding a big secret the whole day, which was understandable.

   Because in a way, I was.

   It was Monday now. Liam and I slept together yesterday, but since I was supposed to work, I ended up calling in sick, so Liam and I could spend the day together. Of course I didn't tell Sophie this, which only got her more curious.

   Our lunch rush had finally come to an end, it being five in evening now. So, with our tables almost empty, she took her time scrutinizing me.

   "Stop being so chirpy," Sophie demanded, planting her hands on the table in front of her. Her glaring eyes roamed around my body, and I knew then that she was eyeing my aura. "It's weird."

   "Why are you so negative, Soph?" I asked, raising my eyebrows in a teasing manner. "Someone got your panties in a twist, huh?"

   She gaped, looking to the side. "What?" She said, high pitched. "No, of course not."

   Her response only made me laugh. "I don't have to read your aura to know you're lying," I smirked, leaning against the wall.

   "You can't tell if someone's lying by looking at their aura," she glared, pursing her lips. "You can tell if they're nervous, and then you look at their body language."

   I eyed her posture and snorted unladylike, which only made her glare harder. "Stop changing the subject," she hissed before moving to the side, so she could step through the swinging doors.

   She stood in front of me moments later, brows raised. "You almost never take a day off. Then you call in and say you're sick, but you look perfectly fine to me," she explained, her eyes never leaving mine.

   I made sure to keep my expression blank, so she couldn't read through me. "Twenty-four hour flu, I told you this," I said slowly.

   "Ha!" She laughed humorlessly at that idea, throwing some of her braids over her shoulder. "You can lie to me, Mon, but your aura can't."

   That statement got my heart pounding. "Well my aura can suck my dick," I chirped again, smiling sweetly once more before walking around her.

   "Monica Kelly! You... you... you better tell me what happened!" She nearly shouted, bringing some of our customer's attention to us.

   I ignored her, stepping out from the swinging doors. Just as I was stepping to the centre of the diner, I heard the door chime open.

   My teeth clung onto my lower lip to control my smile when I saw Liam standing by the front door, a small smirk on his lips as he watched me.