13 | Welcome to my Obsession

Chapter Thirteen: Welcome to my Obsession

"why'd you have to go and
make things so complicated?
I see the way you're acting like
you're somebody else gets me
frustrated."
~ avril lavigne

M O N I C A

   I felt like it was a well known fact that I'm a runner. I knew that and accepted it as my fate.

   So when my mind finally settled on the idea that Meredith was here, in Lake Wisken, I rounded the booth and sat next to Liam. Normally, I wouldn't shove my hand in another guys pocket, but not having any clear thoughts, I grabbed his wallet from his pocket, threw ten dollars on the table before standing up.

   His eyes widened but didn't pull away when I tugged his hand forward. He followed me without another word as I guided us to the hall next to the booth, walking out the emergency exit.

   Probably realizing I didn't want to talk, we ended up walking to the lake and sat in the same spot I'd seen him in June.

   For the rest of the week, I managed to successfully avoid her, with the help of Liam. He'd kept me distracted and busy, and it came to the point I forgot she was back—until he left, that was.

   It was Thursday now. We had a week and a half until September arrived, and I had no idea what exactly my plans were. So instead of dwelling on the idea, I stepped into the backyard with my spray paint and alcohol before getting to work.

   Since I was craving something strong, cold and tasty, I made myself a long island iced tea at noon. Because why the fuck not, right? It's five o'clock somewhere.

   Fuck, I sounded like an alcoholic.

   I wasn't intoxicated, but I drank enough that I'd begun to feel something. Since I made more stencils last night on my cricut machine, I put them into good use now.

   "Thank you very much," I heard a voice chirp behind me just as I reached to pick up my long glass, only for it to be ripped out of my hand.

   My head snapped to the side, an instant glare being directed to my brother. He smirked down on me with amusement as he chugged the rest of my drink—which had been half empty. "Fucker. Go make me another one."

   "Don't be an addict, Monnie," he teased, setting the glass down on the drop cloth surrounding me and the canvas.

   I snorted. "Says you," I retorted. "What's your beer count for today? Twenty-five?"

   He grinned. "Twenty-five," he repeated teasingly, and I instantly knew my immature brother was thinking about that episode from Spongebob.

   "You're so annoying," I mumbled, looking back to my canvas before plucking out the dark brown shade of spray paint. I started getting back to work, but since I hadn't heard the sliding door open and close, I knew Chris still stood behind me.

   Feeling annoyed, I dropped the can next to the canvas in exaggeration before using my hands to spin my body around from under me. I sat on my feet while my knees dug into the ground, staring at him with annoyance. "What do you want?" I deadpanned, seeing him staring at me smugly.