9 | Welcome to my Heartache

Chapter Nine: Welcome to my Heartache

"cause every night I lie in bed, the
brightest colors fill my head, a million
dreams are keeping me awake"
~ hugh jackman

M O N I C A

   "Hey, sleepyhead," a familiar voice said, followed by some laughter.

   I chose to ignore the comment, allowing the darkness to swallow me once more, too comfortable in my spot. But just as I was about to allow myself to be taken away to a dream, I felt a foot gently press down on my waist.

   A groan left passed my parted lips as I moved automatically to shove the leg away from my body. The person chuckled under their breath, but it was a few seconds later when I felt a hand on my hip.

   Forcing my eyes open slowly, so my vision wouldn't get too blurry, I waited until everything sharpened. Only to meet Xavier's dark brown eyes. "What are you doing here?" I grumbled, shoving my head further into the couch.

   Memories from yesterday returned as I recalled dancing with Liam majority of the night, followed by Karen and Sophie. By the end of the night, he dropped us all off as Sophie's apartment before driving away himself.

   When I opened my eyes again, I noticed that the girls weren't around. Xavier was on his knees in front of me, his hand still on my hip. "Where's Soph?" I mumbled, rubbing my head as I sat up, letting the blanket fall down to my hips while he dropped his hand off my body. I was wearing a baggy band tee-shirt that I brought from home, but I was still in my underwear, so I made sure the blanket was covering my lower half before meeting his eyes again.

   He smiled forcefully, looking guilty in a way, before he sat on the coffee table behind him. "She let me in just as she and Karen were leaving," he explained softly. "She wanted coffee, but she didn't want to wake you up, so they went to go pick it up themselves."

   "Then why would you wake me up at..." I paused, looking at the clock above the television on the other side of the living room. My eyes widened when I noticed where the hour hand was. "At nine? Do you have a death wish?"

   When my glare narrowed on him, he closed his eyes as he took a calming breath. "Listen, I know you're gonna get pissed off—"

   "Gonna? No, I feel fantastic!" I clenched out while my hands fisted the blanket around me. "I went to sleep at five, Xavier, so thank you so much for allowing me the choice of having four hours of sleep," I spat out sarcastically.

   He grimaces, rubbing the back of his neck before standing up. "So you're leaving? How brave of you," I glared.

   Instead of saying anything, he dropped his hand on the door handle. But before he unlocked the door, he shot me a pleading look. "I'm sorry, Mon," was all he said before he twisted the handle.

   I was just about to retort, but it died in my throat when I saw what was standing on the other side of the door.

   Not what, but rather, who.

   Chris was standing there, arms crossed with a glare directed right at me. His golden brown straight hair was pushed back to the side as it usually was. He wore the same orange and yellow vest he wears while working as a construction worker, along with dark jeans.

   He looked the same as always, but the look he gave me replaced the usual mischievous glint he had in his eyes. "Monica," he drawled out, stepping further into Sophie's apartment.