C h a p t e r 6. Persuading and Planning 📝🗣️

It's Monday afternoon and I'm heading to the library to plan the next conditioning session with the rest of the captains.

Friday night was a fun break from reality, but today reality smacked me in the face and told me that it's back.

I see Sam, Clarke, Justin, and Ellis sitting at a circle table. Everyone's there except for Zeke. I walk over, plop my bag down and sit beside Clarke. Today has just been a really long day and I honestly just wanted to go home and watch Netflix. But, I know it's my duty and honestly, we can probably get this over quick.

At least after Clarke, Sam, and I are having a sleepover. We've had it set for a while. Clarke's mom suggested it, and somehow my parents agreed even though it's a weeknight. So I have that to look forward too.

Someone is waving a hand in front of my face and I look up from my hands. I hadn't even realized I zoned out while going through my inner monologue.

Zeke was the one waving his hand, I didn't even know he got here. I think I wear that shock on my face cause he chuckles at me.

" Dang, you were really zoned out huh," he says.

" I'm just tired today honestly, I really just want to go to Clarke's house and nap" I reply with a yawn. I don't know why I'm tired to be honest. I guess it was just one of those long days.

" Go to Clarke's house?"

" Yeah. Me, Sam, and Clarke are having a sleepover"

Zeke opens his mouth to respond but Clarke clears her throat, directing her gaze at Zeke and I, before declaring that the meeting has officially started.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Zeke's POV!*

During the start of the meeting, I can see Linnie trying so hard to stay awake. It's kind of cute actually.

I nudge her and whisper to her while Ellis is explaining his idea " If you want to sleep I'll cover for you"

She looks back at me and whispers back " Really?"

Her brown eyes look even bigger now that she's tired.

" Yeah don't worry about it, I got your back remember"

She sends a soft smile in my direction and puts her head down on her arms.

I reach out and play with the ends of her hair. It's so soft. I'm careful not to mess up her curls though.

I know I'm not supposed to touch a black girl's hair... but she's only half black so I'm only breaking like half a rule.

I pull my hand back before anyone notices though and focus back in on the meeting.

~~ 20 minutes later

"You can't have them do that many sets in a row! Water breaks exist for a reason!" Sam argues.

"It's really not that much!" Ellis retorts back.

I sigh, these two have been going at it for 5 minutes now. I just want this to be done so I can go to Timmies.

Somehow through all their quarrelling, Ashlyn never woke up. She must be a real deep sleeper. Surprisingly no one questioned her taking a nap. Clarke looked over, but just rubbed her back before shifting her attention back to Justin, who was talking at the time.

" Okay how about we do Ellis' suggested amount of sets, and halfway through we give them a 1-2 minute water break" Clarke cuts in.

I send a glare over to Ellis telling him not to contradict her. He frowns back at me but says " Fine that works"

"Sam?" Clarke asks.

" Fine, we can do that"

" Thank God you finally you agree. We have the whole workout and stretches planned out now, right?" I ask.

" We should be good to go, right?" Justin asks Clarke. She's been the unofficial leader of tonight, taking notes on a sheet of paper.

" Yeah, I think I have everything we need. On Thursday let's try and get there a couple minutes early. I want the coaches to be impressed with us." She says.

" My last period teacher likes me so I can probably get out 5 minutes early to set up," Sam says, tucking a lock of her blonde hair behind her ear.

I see Ellis track that movement with his eyes.

Damn, I guess Linnie was really onto something. But she would be happy to know that they were talking/fighting during this meeting. I'll have to tell her later.

Clarke's phone chimes out, and she looks down. " My mom's here. Sam, we should pack up". She looks down at Ash.

" I could carry her out to the car if you want to let her sleep longer" I suggest.

Instantly in my mind, I smack myself in the face. Now I'm gonna seem whipped.

I mean... I am kinda... But we're not gonna talk about that.

Clarke smiles at me and says " Yeah, that would be great thanks".

Sam grabs Ashlyn's bag and Ellis instantly takes it from her, swinging it over his shoulder.

Clarke drops the binder she was holding and Justin picks it up for her.

I wrap Linnie's arms around my neck, and swoop her into my arms, bridal style. We all start walking out of the library.

Look at us boys being all chivalrous and stuff.

Linnie nestles her head into my shoulder and I look down at her. She has this content smile on her face. I smile down at her even though she can't see me.

We get to the parking lot and Clarke leads the way to her mom's car. She opens a car door for Ashlyn to sit and I slide her in. Clarke shuts the door and says " Thanks for carrying her. That was nice of you".

I rub the back of my neck and say " It's not a big deal". I feel awkward doing it now.

The girls get in the car, and the boys step back. They wave as the car pulls away.

I turn to the boys and say" Yo, we should definitely crash their sleepover".

Ellis and Justin look at me and nod.

" Great Ellis, we're going to your house tonight," I say with a goofy grin on my face.

*

*

*

*

This chapter is a bit shorter than the rest but I have plans for the next chapter and I don't want to make it too long.

What do you think of Zeke's POV?

And of the boys crashing the girls sleepover?

That's it from me for this chapter! See you for no.7!

-𓃰