C h a p t e r 14: Confusion and Comfort 🤔🤗

I rush down the hallway the next morning trying to make it into math class before the anthem. I halt to a stop right before I reach the classroom and slow my pace to a walk.

They don't need to know I'm rushing in.

I see Zeke made it before me, he smiles at me when I walk in. I smile back and head to the table at the front that has our worksheets for the class.

I grab the worksheets turning my back to Zeke for a second trying to compose myself.

All the butterflies flew into my stomach and are having a rave and I am not about that.

I take a breath before turning back around and walking to my seat. I put my bag down and turn around at the same time that Zeke leans forward to talk to me. We end up crashing our foreheads against each other.

I lean back rubbing my forehead, laughing to myself. Zeke leans back so fast he falls off his chair.

I laugh even harder but get out of my seat to help him up.

"Guess I really fell for you huh," he says with a proud smirk.

The anthem starts before I can respond but I still roll my eyes at his cheesiness, which I secretly adore.

The anthem ends and aboriginal treaties finish so we sit back down in our seats. I listen to the announcements in case there is a basketball announcement that I forgot about.

Our teacher calls for us to pay attention and starts the lesson. I open my notebook to a new page, grab my pencil, and get ready to take notes.

The lesson isn't too hard and I'm able to grasp most of it. With 7 minutes left in class, our teacher gives us some time to work on our homework.

I work on my homework and get half of it done before I feel a tap on my shoulder. I turn around confused before I see Zeke with his hand outstretched as if he was gonna tap my shoulder again.

" Hey," Zeke says simply.

" Hey?" I say not sure what's going on.

" Do you want to go to the carnival with me on Sunday afternoon for our date?" He asks.

" I would love to! I can't wait to eat my weight in carnival food" I said beaming.

" Great, we can meet there at 4? If that works for you of course" He says and I can hear a hint of nervousness in his voice.

" That works perfectly Zeke. Were you worried I'd say no or something?"

" I wasn't nervous, Linnie!" Zeke remarks indignantly.

" Suuuuure you weren't," I say with a smile.

He rubs his hand on his neck, lowering his head a bit when he confesses " I was a little. I was scared you wouldn't like my date idea"

I smile at his softness. I put my hand underneath his chin to make him look into my eyes and see how genuinely excited I am.

" Zeke, I love that idea. You don't have to be worried about me, I just want to spend time with you and have food. I'm pretty simple"

He puts his hand on my hand and murmurs so softly I barely hear, "damn, I really like you, Linnie"

The bell rings breaking the little cocoon we were in. I pack up my stuff and put it in my bag, and again before I can pick up my bag Zeke does, swinging my bag over top of his.

I'm contemplating whether to argue to carry my bag when he breaks my thought linking his hand with mine. We leave math and he walks me to my next class.