C h a p t e r 12. False Accusations and Fate 👀💫

It's 2 P.M, the day after I went to Ellis' track meet. I'm heading over to Joel's house to hang out with him and he says that he has a new way to get Harper jealous but I'm not sure what it is yet.

He originally wanted me to come in the morning but I had a church service to go to, so afternoon it is! My mom drops me off and I pick up my small bag from the car floor. Today I had to dress up a little fancier for a church service than I normally would because I had to go on the stage in front of the congregation. So I have more chill clothes in the bag.

I hop out of the car and head to the door. I put my hand up to ring the doorbell but I don't even touch it before Joel opens the door.

"Hey! How did you open the door so fast?" I ask.

" I saw you pull in from my window. I assumed it was you anyway cause I don't think Justin is expecting anyone" He says.

Joel and Justin are the fraternal twins of our friend group and they are close brothers.

I turn around to wave to my mom that I'm in safe and step in through the door. I take off my shoes and jacket and turn to Joel. " I need to change first. These pants are digging into the waist" I tell him.

He chuckles at me " You know where the bathroom is. Meet me in my room after and I'll tell you what my plan is then".

We split directions, he goes upstairs to his room and I go slightly to the left where the bathroom is. I change out of my church outfit into a blue crewneck sweatshirt and navy blue shorts.

It's just Joel and maybe Justin, so it's not like I'm dressing to impress him. I head out of the bathroom and climb up the stairs. I'm crossing the landing when Justin comes out of his room.

" Hey Justin," I say

" Hey, Ashlyn. Has Joel told you already what his crazy plan is?" He asks.

" No, not yet. Has he told you already?"

He chuckles, seemingly thinking about it " Yeah he has. Good luck when you hear it" He pats me on the shoulder and passes by me going down the stairs.

" Are you going to the kitchen?" I ask.

He raises an eyebrow at me " Yeah, do you want something?"

" Can you bring me some Tostitos?" I ask with a smile.

He nods and heads downstairs to the kitchen and I head into Joel's room. He's lying down on his bed and I plop down beside him.

His room is painted with red and white stripes, and decorated with lots of posters and photos he's taken.

" Okay, what is this 'crazy' plan I've been hearing so much about," I ask him right away.

" Justin told you?" He asks.

" Yep. So tell me." I command.

So here's what it is broken down. Basically we're gonna take cute photos together and he's gonna post them onto his snap story which she views.

" Okay but there's a small problem with this" I confess.

" What's the problem? I thought it was very smart, if I do say so myself"

I pause for a few seconds contemplating how to say it. I sigh, deciding to go for the blunt route. "I don't want Zeke to think we're a couple"

Joel studies my expression before speaking softly " You like him don't you"

I look down, considering lying, but eventually confess " Yeah, I do"

He stands up trying to think of a way through it. " What if I make a private story with just her in it. She's the only one who needs to see it anyways"