Chapter One

Hi guys. I've attached Happier by Marshmallow (Nightcore female version) video on top. I think this song explains Melissa's emotions pretty well. Listen to the song while reading. You'll feel her in your soul.

Melissa's POV

" Do you want to order anything else, ma'am?"

"Later" .

"Are you waiting for someone?"

"Yes".

I checked my phone screen again to find it completely blank. No new messages or anything. The waitress nodded and went inside, after refilling my glass with white wine.

It was 11th of December. The day was sunny, not too cold comparing to yesterday's weather. People wore less layers of clothing today. After a few more minutes, I looked at my phone screen again. The weather report had said, there'd be a snow storm later. I had my car with me, so it wasn't bothering me that much. I had better things to think about.

" When are you coming?" I typed and sent.

"Soon. A few more minutes. Almost there...." a reply popped up on my screen.

It had been half an hour already I was waiting for. It was starting to irritate me at this rate.

Another 10 minutes passed by. Then at last he showed up, in his navy blue suit and black shirt underneath. His brown hair combed back and sunglasses hiding his beautiful blue eyes from my sight. I diverted my eyes from him, looking at the menu.

"How've you been" he asked me putting his sunglasses on the table.

"Good. How was the trip?" I asked him, genuinely curious.

" Couldn't have been better. But I still am not somehow satisfied with the results" he informed, scanning the menu himself.

I sat silently there, observing my nails and my heart beat, trying to keep my blood pressure in control.

I can't loose control.. Not today. I have to be strong.

" What is so urgent that you wanted to meet suddenly ?" he asked me breaking the silence after ordering food.

" What do you want, George?" I asked, looking in his eyes, after a couple of seconds.

"What do you mean?" he frowned at me.

"You've been ignoring me a lot lately. What's the matter?" I tried to read his mind, but in vain.

" I would never ignore you! Mel, you know how busy I've been lately because of all the new projects. Don't misunderstand me, please!" he held my hands in his over the table. A comforting warm feeling spread through my whole body.

"I'm just asking you. It's not about the past week. I know the new project is taking a toll on you", I paused taking my hands out of his, placing them on my lap. Grasping onto my own courage was all I could do.

"Then?"

"I feel like -" I got interrupted by the waitress serving food. He had ordered Mushroom Soup, Garlic breads and wine for both of us. My favorites.

"I ate already", I lied, trying to make myself say what I wanted to say today.

Can't get distracted.

" Oh okay. You must have been starving while I was being late. I'm sorry, Mel. Have some wine at least" he poured wine for me, "You're saying?"

" I feel like you're not happy and I think you want this to be over" I said, not daring to touch the wine, at first and then taking a sip from it.

Fuck it. I need courage. And alcohol is strength.

"Mel, what are you talking about?"

"George, I want to know if we're on the same page or not. There's no pressure. And if we're not on the same page, there's no need of wasting our time".

"Mel, I want us to be on the same page and be good friends".

"Yes, you want us to be good friends", I smiled at him, " You've always told me that you're scared what if our relation doesn't work out and it's gonna ruin our friendship and I'll hate you. But you avoiding me won't make our friendship shine brighter than the sun, will it? And I'm not going to hate you for this. You've always been a good friend to me"  I took a long sip of wine, gathering whatever courage I had to say this, "But I think it's time to let you go".

I diverted my eyes to the glass with my lipstick mark, almost empty.

I need more alcohol.

I didn't want to see his expression. Anger, relief, hurt, sadness, confusion - whatever there was, I didn't want to see it.

"I think you're right", In a flash of second  I looked up at him.

" I think we should take some time off untill we both can figure out what we want", he offered me a smile which I returned quickly.

But only I knew how hard it was for me to do. Without wasting another second, I got up and left. Sitting there, in front of knowing that I had given up all my rights on that person was a torture itself.

I left without a second glance at him. I didn't know if he had called my name from behind or not. My mind was in chaos and I needed to get out of there.

As soon as possible.....