Chapter Six

"Melissa, I think we should be friends again"

Excuse me?

"What? What do you mean?" I ask furrowing my eyebrows.

Are you breaking up with me?

" I think we are far better at being good friends" he explains his words for me.

Congrats, George. You've accomplished the mission of explaining English to me.

I mentally roll my eyes and say, " And what makes you think that?"

" Look at what we talk about. We talk about literature, movies, TV shows, friends and family issues. We're each other's emotional companions" his eyes are looking into mine. There's something about them, intriguing, that makes me feel exposed and vulnerable yet so complete.

"So you want to break up?" I am seriously confused.

"I just want us to be good friends" I watch him taking my hands in his and saying, "Our friendship is really important to me. More important than any other relationship existing on earth. And I don't want something else to ruin our friendship. I don't want you to hate me".

"I don't understand what you're talking about" I ask, totally confused.

The man whom I love more than anything in my life, is telling me he wants us to be good friends and he wants me to be calm about it?

I mean what the fuck?

Yes, we were friends for a few months. But the sparks were always there. We're good friends, still are. But what does he mean?

"The first time, you fall in love with someone, you'll see that there's other things that makes a romantic relationship, besides mutual understanding and love. Chemistry.
As I've seen, in every relationship, every breakups and heartbreaks, there was something missing. They lacked either mutual understanding or affection" he explains.

"I've no idea what you're talking about" I sigh.

"Trust me in this. I'm an atheist. I don't feel I should have any moral obligations with anyone. I'm the most immoral person you've met. So I obviously feel I'm not favored by anyone, anything or anywhere. 'It's okay to be lonely sometimes' said someone who was lonely among a crowd of people".

"I've read it somewhere" I hint him to continue.

Please make a little sense!

"I hoped that you did. And you did. At once I realized, my thoughts are just a small part of this ever changing social structured, society centered mindset of people. I'm sorry to ruin your day".

"You didn't".

"Why? It must've. I know I did".

"You know what? Not to prove or anything. I'm not sure about your opinion or what chemistry actually means. Never realized the meaning even after reading so many romantic novels and seeing so many relations being successful. But you know when one person is saying something, expressing their thoughts and views and opinions about the world, be it about anything, the other person can feel and understand whatever he says, connects with him, share his feelings and vice versa. In my opinion that's chemistry. That's their soul attachment right there" I pause.

"You're right" he says, "That's the most pure definition of chemistry".

"And they don't feel bored or like their time is being wasted. There's only a couple of people with that kind of chemistry that I know of, in this huge population. We talk about anything and everything, from world affairs to silly life problems, from rage to depression, from fantasy to philosophy. And I never get bored. I feel connected and alive. To be honest that was just my own thoughts" I brush off the topic, not feeling comfortable being that open to him anymore.