Chapter 16: Welcome to the Underworld

It was a calm morning; the sun was shining, birds chirping, and Ryuga was still sleeping. Well, that was before a metal pan hit him in the head. He woke up from the sound of glass shattering and metal clanging. When he opened his eyes, he saw something he never thought he'd see... Lillian cooking human food. Less like cooking, more like struggling to cook.

He watched her throw ingredients on the floor and light them ablaze, before grabbing another pan and throwing it across the room. This time Ryuga jumped out of bed and caught the pan, not wanting his home to get destroyed even more so. 

Ryuga: "Aunt Lillian, what exactly are you doing to my poor spinach?"

He was referring to the black dust currently occupying the floor. He heard Lillian give a demonic growl before turning around. When his eyes met hers, she broke down crying like a small child and sat on the floor. Her tears formed into a puddle near her. She spoke through her crying, all the while giving Ryuga an adorable pouting face.

Lillian: "I-I was t-trying to make breakfast for you when you woke up, but I-I-I-I can't figure o-out how to use the tools and human food!" 

She started crying harder, and Ryuga heard a knock on his door. He quickly opened it to find Lucy with bags in her eyes.

Ryuga: "Lucy? Is there something you need?"

Lucy: "Your Aunt has been making noises for two hours." She grabbed his hand with both of hers. "Please... I beg of you, make her quiet."

Ryuga: "Ah, yeah, sorry. I'll take care of it right away."

Lucy went back into her room, and Ryuga closed the door. He walked towards Lillian with a gentle smile on his face and open arms. Once she saw him getting closer, she stopped crying but kept sniffling, and she opened her arms out, akin to a baby who wants to be carried. He slowly picked her up and sat down on the couch, placing her beside him.

Lillian, the mother, wrapped her arms around Ryuga, the son, and continued to slightly cry into his chest. Ryuga started to wonder who the real mother looked like in this position, as he started to pat Lillian's back.

Lillian: "I messed it all up. I was j-just trying to brighten your day."

Ryuga: "Don't fret, dear Aunt. Would you like me to teach you?"

Lillian looked up with stars in her eyes, as her frown disappeared and was replaced by a smile. 

Lillian: "Yeah! Teach me! Teach me!"

That is how that morning went. Ryuga taught Lillian all of the basics on how to use his utensils and ingredients. Before an hour was even up, Lillian was cooking eggs and sausage by herself. A giant smile was evident on her face while Ryuga watched from the comfort of his couch. 

-Timeskip-

Once they ate breakfast, they headed to the guild to gather everyone up for the wedding. Once everyone was ready to go, they gathered in a backroom of the guildhall. Lillian's index finger glowed red as she started tapping each of the humans' foreheads.

Gray: "What's this?"

Lillian: "It's a permanent spell that allows for you humans to function in the underworld."

Wendy: "W-What does that mean?"

Lillian: "The underworld is very different from this realm. It has a much lighter sense of gravity and the air there is not made up of the same components as it is here."

Gray: "And what does that mean?"

Ryuga: "Basically, without this spell, your lungs would burn up as you float away into nothingness."