ONE

Welcome back!

This is taking place RIGHT after pt. 4

Please don't hate me.

"Foster, I..." Keefe looked down at his feet, running a hand through his hair. "I don't know what to say to that."

Sophie looked right up at him; her face filled with major confusion.

Then she put herself in his shoes. If she'd been in love with someone for a long time, and then they went and dated her best friend, then broke up with them and then never told her their feelings, Sophie would be speechless too.

"Uhm, you're right," She said quickly, looking down at her feet. "This is...this is stupid and sudden. Do you need time to think about it?"

Keefe bit his lip, looking up at the ceiling of the gazebo and sighing. "I mean...yeah,"

He looked like he was really struggling.

He sighed again and looked down at her. "I just need to think about...everything for a minute."

Sophie nodded, starting to back away. "Well, I guess I'll just call Grady and Edaline to come pick me up."

She started walking away, but Keefe stopped her by saying, "No—wait! I'll drive you home."

Sophie shook her head. "That's really sweet of you, but I just can't deal with...um...yeah. I'm just going to call them."

She took out her phone and began to hobble back, in the rain, to the ice-cream-cake-candy shop. She called Edaline, and thankfully it didn't go to voicemail.

"Edaline?" Sophie said, feeling tears form in her eyes. "Hey, can you come pick me up? I'm at the ice-cream-cake-candy place."

"Wait, what happened? I thought you were with Keefe." Edaline said, sounding very worried.

"I was," Sophie said, clearing her throat. "I'll tell you everything later. Can you please just come get me?"

"Of course," Edaline said. "I'll be there in a minute."

Sophie waited inside the shop until she saw Edaline's car and quickly made her way over to it and got in the back seat.

"Can you tell me what happened?" Edaline asked as they left town and headed home.

"I don't want to talk about it tonight," Sophie mumbled with a sigh. "Maybe tomorrow,"

Edaline nodded. "Alright,"

They arrived home a few minutes later, and Sophie went straight up to her room. She slammed her door shut, grabbed a change of clothes and a towel, walked over to her bathroom, and started herself a bath.

Once the water had filled up a good bit, she got in and let the warm water relax the pain in her body. She hadn't even done anything, and yet she felt like every bone in her body had been broken.

"Sophie?" Edaline knocked on the bathroom door. "Are you sick? Do I need to call Elwin?"

Sophie wished Elwin could fix what was going on in her life, but, sadly, a broken-teenage-heart was something a doctor could not mend.

"No," Sophie said. "I'm fine,"

"Alright," Edaline said.

Sophie stayed in the bathtub a little longer before she finally decided to get out, get dressed in pajama's, and crawl into bed.