I always knew he'd go this way pt. 1

as you waited at the Hilltop for Carl's return, along with the others from Alexandria, you felt your chest grow heavy. Carl's plan sounded bizarre to you, and he knew it was. that's why he made you stay at the Hilltop. his goodbye, it was odd. he acted like he'd never see you again. he didn't want to let you go from his embrace, yet he knew he had to. your kiss, before you left Alexandria, it was more intense than normal goodbye kisses. he was more affectionate.

Carl should be arriving at some point today, and you cannot wait. you miss his touch, his smell, all of him. you're longing for his affection.

you grew worried as the day passed, and the sun began to set, yet, there was no sign of your loving boyfriend. as you were walking the dirt road from the vegetables to the animal pins, you heard the front gates open. you dropped every item you were holding and ran as fast as you could to the front. when you arrived, Enid was crying, and everyone had a gloom look on their faces. you scanned the group, looking for a particular face, that could light up any room, and could make anyone smile. the eyes, that you loved so dearly. you couldn't look into them without falling for your beloved Carl all over again. those eyes, they were nowhere to be seen.

horrifying thoughts rushed through your head. where was he? is he hurt? is he with Rick or Michonne? is he gone? no, he can't be. he's a fighter. he's a survivor.

Daryl looked at you. you could see it on his face. something, something had gone terribly wrong.

"Daryl?" you choked

"he- he's gone"

gone. what? no. you felt your knees go weak. he's gone. that can't be right.

"no" you whispered, barely audible "h-how?"

"he got bit a few days ago, saving someone"

he was saving someone. of course he was. you're beautiful Carl. he couldn't let someone helpless go without thinking about it thoroughly.

"h-he didn't tell me? he can't be. are you sure? no, he's not gone. he is not. he can't be" you said, tears slowly streaming down your rosey cheeks. "but we- we had plans. we were gonna build a family, h-he was gonna have the life Lori wanted for him. this can't be happening" you began to break down, thinking about his final moments.

you weren't there. you didn't get to hear his last words. did he want you? did he cry for you? did he regret making you stay at Hilltop? what was he thinking? how much pain was he in? could you have saved him? you should've.

you backed up, tears now quickly rolling down your face and neck. you felt an arm on your shoulder, and turned to see Maggie

"no" you said backing away from her, bumping into someone else trying to comfort you "no! stop!" you said "stop!" you yelled, then tripping over your own feet, landing harshly on the ground, then beginning to sob, crying out in pure agony. "go away! stop! make him come back! he can't be gone!" you sobbed

"y/n" Maggie said

"just leave me alone, please, just leave me alone!" you cried out, running your hands through your hair. thoughts of Carl flooded your mind. how much pain was he in? did he want you to comfort him? why did he make you leave if he knew he'd never see you again?

soon, you were alone. alone in the dirt by the front gate. sobbing into your knees. eventually, you were laying on your back, staring up at the sky.

"why did you leave me?" you asked quietly. you felt warmth on your right hand, and your left cheek. you knew that feeling. it was him. "you're here?"

"I'll always be here" you heard in the wind

"I love you" you said, a singular tear running down your tear stained cheeks, now dry, as you zoned out and stopped crying

"forever, baby" the wind spoke

you felt a sudden determination to meet the person he saved. you had to know who Carl lost his life to.

you approached the only unfamiliar face, who was talking to Maggie. he looked you in the eyes, and it almost looked like he attempted a smile, but he knew better. without thinking, you swing your arm back and your hand had a rough meeting with his left cheek. his face swung to the side. he looked at you with wide eyes, as yours were filled with tears.

you then pulled him into a tight hug, tears rolling down your cheeks. he wrapped his arms around you, as if he'd known you for years.

"I always knew he'd go this way" you said, still in the hug

"your boyfriend, he was a good man" he said pulling away

boyfriend. you wanted him to be more than that. he may not be here, but you need something of his. perhaps, his hat? his hand gun? something more?

"I know he was." you said "I'm sorry for slapping you" you giggled

"don't be sorry, I understand" he said "saddiq" he added, sticking his hand out

"y/n" you said, shaking it "y/n Grimes"

that. that is what you want of his.

his last name