Chap. 25

"Life without love is like a tree without blossoms or fruit."
-Khalil Gibran
---------------------

Andy's POV

We began trekking towards our camping site in forest following lead of our guide. As we started going deeper within the woods an unusual silence spread in our surroundings. A fresh and chill forest air was extremely soothing to mind. Feet shuffling through detritus, rustling of leaves, branches creaking, melodious chirping of birds, squirrels chattering, bees buzzing were the most frequent sounds. Soon we reached a small stream. Its clear water was reflecting the sun's glitter.

Just a little distance from the stream we arrived at our camping site. It was a beautiful clearing surrounded by the huge forest trees. All the camps were already set there. Our guide told us, those camps were set beforehand, at the location requested by our college. Their organization set camps according to the demands of the clients. Many adventurers and expert hikers demanded setting up their camps deep within the forest, but our college put a precondition on setting up our camps not too far away from the villa, considering safety of the students. Our names were enlisted to accommodate camps, according to our preferences. Thankfully me, Clara and Gracy were assigned a camp together. Liam and Frederick were assigned another camp.

After putting our bags inside the camp, we gathered as per the request of our guide waiting for the further instructions. My friends were busy with their usual banters.

"Hey bro." Suddenly a guy said approaching Liam. He was quite well built and handsome. He did a brotherly handshake with Liam and Frederick. I remembered his name was Josh. I had often seen him with them. He was their football teammate.

He whispered something to them. Liam's expressions turned sour. I wonder what he said to irritate him.

"I told you bro she's not interested." Liam said irritated. Frederick looked amused.

"I doubt whether you've even told her." Josh said suspiciously. "Well doesn't matter. I've finally gathered some courage. Today I'll tell her myself." He said with the determination and approached Clara.

She looked confused. Me and Gracy shared a knowing smirk.

"Clara I have been wanting to tell you this for a long time." He said looking at her with adoration. "I-I like you."

He looked nervous waiting for her response. Clara looked equally nervous. It seemed like she wasn't expecting a sudden proposal.

"Look how adorably he proposed." Gracy whispered nudging my shoulder.

Suddenly Liam pulled Clara into his arms and gave Josh a murderous look. "Stay away from her, dude. You're just toying with her. Take it as a last warning."

It was the first time I saw this overprotective side of Liam.

"I'm not toying with her, buddy. I seriously like her." Josh said calmly. "Clara, you don't need to answer me right away. I just wanted to tell you my feelings." with this he went away.

"Stay away from him Clar. He's just a playboy." Liam said holding Clara's shoulder gently. She didn't said anything and looked away. She had an unreadable expression.

"Chill dude. He's better than us. A year back he had a serious relationship. After that I never saw him fooling around with any girl. I think he's serious about Clara." Frederick said calmly.

"No I still don't approve of him." Liam said stubbornly. Frederick's expressions turned amused and he whispered something to Liam, which earned him a playful punch.

I was surprised at Liam's behaviour. He hardly behaved that recklessly. Once when two of his teammates asked him about me and Gracy he instantly told us about them and didn't left any chance to tease us, but he never mentioned about Josh to Clara, not even jokingly. Josh doesn't seemed like a bad guy, even Frederick approved of him, but Liam was being reluctant about him.