Chapter 14 - A Shadow in the Dark

My blood felt like ice running through my veins, and with a cold sweat, I was paralyzed. I sat in the same spot, frozen, just staring at the note. Many thoughts were flashing through my head at once, leaving me completely unable to focus on a single one, and I didn't realize how much time was passing. 

What snapped me out of my hypnotized-like state was the loud sound of voices and booming music right outside my door. My eyebrows furrowed, and although I was aware of the Christmas party Nick had put together, I didn't think it was going to be the second coming of Project X. 

I stared at the necklace. It was beautiful and made out of brilliant gold, but with it came the pulsing fear that spread throughout my body. I wanted more than anything to just disappear right at that moment and not have to face the crowd of intoxicated people outside my room but at the same time, I realized that whoever gave me this necklace, this note, was able to get into my room unnoticed. 

Goosebumps covered every inch of my skin and I stopped breathing. What if that person was still in here, hiding? I knew I was in over my head, considering if that person was in here and wanted to hurt me they would've done it by now; I don't even know how long I've been alone, staring at the object as if I was watching its every move. 

With a new sense of urgency, and with shaky fingers, I decided to put the necklace on. 

Maybe it's just a harmless gift from one of the guys, maybe the note is just for shits and giggles. 

I clasped it around my neck, half expecting one of them to claim responsibility for the gift and that the note was just one big joke to scare me, and the other half of me was putting it on to see if anybody would discreetly give it more attention - or notice it as more than just a pretty necklace -  immediately flagging themselves as the threat. 

Practically sprinting for the door, I rushed out and slammed it shut behind me, pressing my back against it and letting out a breath I didn't know I was holding in for so long. With my eyes shut, I focused on my breathing and drowned out the deafening noise around me until I felt stable enough to take in what was now surrounding me. 

I clenched my jaw and opened my eyes to reveal the estate unlike I've ever seen it before. The standard white lights that illuminated the hallways and rooms were now deep shades of pink, purple, and blue, accompanied by flashing lights, like lasers. Bodies were on bodies, all intoxicated; there was barely any room to walk as waves of unfamiliar people were constantly moving. 

There were people dancing, grinding, drinking, smoking - you name it, it's there. Music boomed throughout the palace and the bass made my brain rattle against my skull. 

I was absolutely disgusted. 

I shook my head and pushed my way through the crowd, trying to make it to the kitchen to hopefully find Ace or Nick or anyone and tell them about what I found in my room. Finally breaking through everybody while fortunately dodging all the drinks that were a strand away from spilling all over me, I made it to the kitchen and saw the back of Nick's big ass head by the food, talking to a girl in a barely-there "Mrs. Claus" outfit. 

You know, the ones that consist of the tiny red skirts that could be tube tops and the red bras, both with the signature white Santa lining? With the thigh-high white lace stockings and platform heels? Those ones. 

"Nick," I rushed out when I got to him, "I need to talk to you."

"Alex, can't you see I'm busy?" he said, slightly nudging his head towards the girl - who was not very happy about my interruption. 

"It's impor-"

"Whatever it is, it can wait. Seriously, I'm sure whatever you want to tell me isn't important," he said in a harsh tone, rolling his eyes.