04: invasion of privacy

Alana had woken early with the sun, same as she did most days

Alana had woken early with the sun, same as she did most days. There was just something about an empty house and early mornings. A few moments alone with her thoughts and the sunrise, before the world started spinning and life yelled move. Now, she and JJ Maybank were making their way across the cracked asphalt, the Chateau just a mile upward. The sun was already beaming high against its cloudless blue backdrop as time ticked past ten, it's merciless rays warming Alana's exposed skin.

The girl had been lost in her head for the past five minutes, subtle worry and uncertainty filtering throughout the walls of her subconscious. "All right, you're being way too quiet. Whatcha thinkin' about?" JJ reached over and gently grabbed onto her fingers, taking notice of her abrupt quietness.

Alana turned her head to meet JJ's eyes. "I don't know, I guess I'm just worried for John B; if this whole compass thing turns out to be nothing."

"I mean, it's weird though, right? Why would Scooter have Big John's compass?" JJ questioned, swaying their conjoined hands back and forth. "There's probably some insane mafia shit going on right under our noses."

Alana cracked a smile at his comment, her blonde waves moving as she shook her head in disbelief. "I definitely have questions, but it seems like we're ripping open old wounds. John B's already been through enough with his dad." She looked down as her high top vans padded across the split pavement. "And by the way, we should have just drove my car. I'm tired of walking."

JJ chuckled, pointing out John B's Volkswagen in the distance, sitting unmoving on the sunburnt lawn of the fishing shack. "Relax sunshine, we're almost there. Besides, it's only a twenty minute walk from here to your place."

Alana dramatically rolled her cerulean irises. "JJ, if you're not gonna carry me, then let me complain in peace."

"No complaining. Just get on." JJ stopped walking, effortlessly lifting Alana onto his back, his hands gripping each of her thighs to support her weight. He was used to hauling pieces of machinery, and pushing around a heavy lawn mower for hours on end. In his mind, carrying the Kessler girl was no different. She just smiled, resting her arms loosely around his shoulders, running her fingers through his disheveled hair.

It was quiet once they made it to the fishing shack, the only noise coming from a pair of seagulls perched on the dock post a few feet away, and the crowing of John B's rooster. "Attention all passengers, we've reached our destination. The weather is...hot." JJ joked, carefully dropping the blonde girl to her feet. "That's gonna cost you five dollars. Or a kiss. You know I'm all about choices." He pulled her close, a goofy grin plastered on his face.

Alana laughed brightly, putting a hand to his chest and shoving him away; although in due time, she'd come to appreciate the security of his touch. "Get out." She ascended the rickety porch steps, instantly noticing a sheet of paper taped to the front door. It didn't take her long to realize that it was a court summons from child services. John B Routledge was an expert at laying low and going unnoticed, especially when it came to authoritarian adults; but Alana knew her friend couldn't avoid the law forever.