11: all at once

The intrepid teenage girl had nearly drowned in insomnia that night

The intrepid teenage girl had nearly drowned in insomnia that night. Alana Kessler spent half of the dark hours repeatedly flicking open the cap of JJ's zippo lighter. The radiant flame danced in the pit of her ocean eyes, and she ran her thumb over the two letters carved onto the aluminum exterior while trying to convince herself that her boy was all right. But morning came eventually, and in spite of her worried heart, she stood tall staring at her reflection in the full-length mirror anchored to the back of her bedroom door. A satin thigh-length ivory dress embraced her figure, and her wild beach waves had been straightened flat, all in honor of midsummers: an annual rich people event hosted at the most pretentious country club Figure Eight had to offer.

"God, you look just like her." Mia breathed, certainly referencing their estranged mother as she secured a flower headpiece to the younger girl's head. Undoubtedly, Mia's resentment for Raina ran deep. While she loved her sister with every fiber of her being, it didn't dismiss the fact that at eighteen she was forced to drop everything for a kid that wasn't her own.

"Shut up." Alana rolled her eyes. "Why are we even going to this stupid thing?" She ran her fingers down the smooth fabric of her dress.

"Carter has to make an appearance. I'm his date...and you're my sister." Mia explained with an obvious expression. "All right, I'm done." She secured the lightweight headpiece with one last pin with before taking a step back.

"I look like a Walmart Britney Spears." Alana wanted to cringe as she looked herself from head to toe. Bikini tops and denim shorts were her go-to outfit choice and she found that whenever she was running from security officers or jumping from giant cliffs into the ocean is when she smiled the most. So, surely getting all dressed up to go and party with a bunch of out-of-touch materialists, was not her idea of a good time; though she found solace knowing that Kiara and Pope would be there with her.

"Stop being so dramatic all the time, you look amazing." Mia argued while taking strides towards her own bedroom. "It's good to show a little versatility every now and again."

"Screw versatility." Alana muttered to herself just as the sound of someone knocking against their wooden front door thundered throughout the bungalow.

"Answer that!" Mia's voice rung out from down the hall and Alana took one final look at her appearance before strolling off towards the front entrance. In one swift motion she tugged the door open, revealing none other than Carter Flynn; dressed to the nines in a navy blue Armani suit.

"Hey, kid." He gave the younger girl a smile as he stepped over the threshold. Despite being a Kook, Carter had never judged Mia for her roots. He was a good man and he respected her grind. Last year, he'd tried to buy her a new car, and she threatened that if he did, their relationship was over. Carter was dominant in the business aspect of life, but in turn he was also the guy who would pet all of the dogs and bring his mother flowers every Sunday.