09: dead end mission

Alana Kessler and Kiara Carrera met the summer before freshmen year at the concession stand for an outdoor movie screening of S

Alana Kessler and Kiara Carrera met the summer before freshmen year at the concession stand for an outdoor movie screening of S.E. Hinton's The Outsiders. Casually, the blonde girl mentioned that even though she had already seen the movie nine times, her irrefutable yet cliche attraction to bad boy Dallas Winston was enough justification for her to see it a tenth. Kiara was immediately enthralled by her energy and from then on, the pair ran their mouth's about any and everything. From petty schoolyard gossip and their favorite bands, all the way down to deep topics about life and the patriarchy.

So ultimately, it was of no shock when the free-spirited blonde found herself seated in between Kiara's outstretched legs roughly an hour before the crew was supposed to be setting sail to find the Merchant. The brunette's long fingers wove through Alana's golden curls, alternating strands as she began two messy french braids. "I'm in love with JJ." Alana stated ever so randomly and boldly, her blue eyes focused on the palm trees standing tall outside of Kiara's second story window. Their long fan-like leaves blew against the wind that only grew more violent as the anticipated storm closed in on their minuscule island.

Kiara paused mid braid, considering her best friend's words before scoffing in amusement. "No you're not."

"Dude, scouts honor."

"You were never a scout." Kiara chuckled melodically, before silence encased the abstract bedroom consisting of a few succulent plants, her instruments, and a wall plastered with aesthetically appealing photos. "He's been making passes at you for like what, five years? What changed all of a sudden?"

"I don't know. We were just hanging out in my room last night." Alana answered, shifting slightly atop of the queen sized bed. "Im not really sure how to explain it, but in the moment I felt really happy."

"Are you sure that wasn't all it was? A moment?"

"I don't know, Kie."

Kiara mustered a smile as she sealed the end of the first braid with a rubber band. "Well, what did you do?" She asked curiously.

"If you're wondering if I said something to him about it, then no." Alana laughed lightheartedly. "Maybe if I still feel the same way in a week, I will. But I know how serious you are about the whole no Pogue-on-Pogue macking shit."

"Yeah, lets just not even discuss that right now." Kiara replied, moving on to the second braid. "Things are so awkward between John B and I, at this point I'm wishing I would have just kissed him back."

"He's clearly still head over heels for you." Alana chuckled to herself, fidgeting with the beaded anklet that was secured around her leg by a thin silver clasp.