07: a good sob story

Bob Marley's versatile voice pervaded the Volkswagen and dry air pooled in through the open windows

Bob Marley's versatile voice pervaded the Volkswagen and dry air pooled in through the open windows. It was well into the evening when the five Pogue's decided to venture out onto the opposite side of The Cut to get the drone. Alana sat cross-legged on the carpeted floor of the van, scanning the pages of a crisp copy of USWeekly that JJ had slyly taken from the hotel lobby; the suggestive cover photo of media sensation Kendall Jenner catching his eye. Every so often, she would look up from the gossip filled pages and over to the blonde haired boy sitting directly across from her, tediously yet diligently rolling a joint. JJ would at times look up as well, blue meeting blue, just like the ocean. In which he'd smirk negligibly and Alana would roll her eyes, an action betrayed by the almost instantaneous smile on her lips.

"Pope, we're not stealing the drone. We're borrowing it." John B clarified, one hand firm on the steering wheel as he effortlessly pushed thirty miles-per-hour down a vacant road.

Pope Heyward, sat with his arms crossed over his chest, staring out of the open window. "Humans are the only animal that can't tell fantasy from reality." He recited, his tone dripping with vexation.

"Wait, did you come up with that?" John B questioned.

"No, Albert Bernstein came up with that, but it applies to this whole treasure hunting thing." Pope replied, relishing in the fact that he could relate his academic intelligence to their current situation.

"Oh."

"So, which is it?" The brown eyed boy continued, finally turning his head to look at John B. "Fantasy or reality?

"Why are you so weird, Pope?" JJ asked nonchalantly while running his tongue over the pearled joint.

"It's fantasy, but possible reality." Kiara acknowledged from the passenger seat.

"Reality." John B asserted, glancing to the smiling brunette beside him before averting his mocha eyes back onto the road.

"Virtual reality." JJ taunted, flicking open his silver zippo lighter, the flame igniting with a clink. However, Pope was quick to pluck the joint from between his lips, tossing it casually a few feet from Alana.

"Keep the signal clear." He reminded, as John B rolled to a stop at the gate leading into the salvage yard where Kiara's green Nissan was waiting, or in simpler terms their distraction.

"You know what your problem is?" JJ began, snapping the cap to his lighter closed.

"You?" Pope scoffed.

"No! It's that you need to relax, man. You're always so tense!" JJ suggested as Kiara popped open her door, slipping out of the van.  

Alana scoffed, sliding open the door to the backseat. "I thought it was because he didn't get creative?"

"That too." JJ shrugged as the blonde jumped out of the van.

"Please remind me why you aren't the one doing this?" Kiara complained, fishing her car keys from the side pocket of her olive green backpack. "Especially if you're coming for backup?"