44. LOVEBIRDS

After a while the games calmed down and we all began to chill out, just floating around the grotto on our inner tubes and not much else.

I decided to get out of the pool, and away from the shade, dry off in what was left of the afternoon sun and relax, work on my tan. If I'm gonna be wearing so little I thought it'd be better if I didn't look pasty white doing it.

I spread my towel out in the thick green grass on the far edge of the grotto, near the waterfall, in a spot that would get the most sun and no shade before it set.

Before lying down I ran back inside to retrieve three things; a pen, a yellow highlighter, and the book I was currently reading, titled, "Football's Definitive Instructional Guide to the Greatest Offensive Plays of All Time."

I walked back out to my towel. No, I didn't run this time, having discovered on my trip in, that running caused my lil boobs to bounce up and down in a way that put me in danger of having them possibly pop out of my entirely-too-small-to-be-supportive bikini top.

Once again, thanks for this much too skimpy swimsuit, Beck.

On the way back to my towel, I also retrieved a tube of sun tan lotion from the lounger.

About fifteen minutes later, as I was lying on the towel, on my stomach, engrossed in my book and completely unaware of what was happening, Jeremy came over.

He was drying his hair with his towel as he approached.

"Is this seat taken," he nervously asked, motioning toward the spot next to me.

"Go ahead," I replied nonchalantly, without looking up.

"Whatcha reading," he asked.

I flipped the front cover up so he could see the title.

"Whoa, you really are a football player. You're probably the only girl in the world to ever read that book. Any other girl would say it's the most boring book ever written. Nobody reads a book like that unless they're taking notes."

I briefly held up the pen and highlighter in my other hand, again while not looking away from the book

"I see, you are taking notes. I've read and studied it. Mine's all marked up too. It's a great book. I learned some of my favorite plays from it."

I still didn't say anything, continuing to read. Is he going to get the hint and go away or not?

He settled in on his towel, lying on his back.

I guess not.

After a couple minutes he sat up and picked up my tube of sun tan lotion.

"May I," he asked, gesturing with the tube.

"Yeah," I replied, continuing to read.

He began to apply the lotion to his bare chest, shoulders, arms, and legs.

"Gotta reapply often, otherwise you'll burn in this relentless Texas sun." Jeremy awkwardly offered up, still trying to initiate a conversation.

He then returned the tube of sun block from where he had picked it up and laid back on his towel.

"I should have brought my shades with me," he announced.

It didn't seem like he was really saying that to me, but more of a thought, spoken out loud.

I could tell he really wanted to have a conversation with me, but appeared to be struggling with what to say to make it happen. I also knew I wasn't really helping him out with the way I wasn't responding when he did say something.