Handling Stress

I love the support you've all given me on this journey. Enjoy this update.

Mark's POV

"She said she loves me." I exclaim to Derek as I accompany him to his little journey this morning.

"Thought she hated you."

"She never hated me." Derek raises his brow at me. "She didn't!"

"She literally slapped you and threw a drink in your face."

"And I deserved all of those."

"How did you deserve those?"

"I was a dick, Derek. I thought what I wanted was Addison and..." He gives me a look and I raise my hand. "And I was wrong. Addison was not what I wanted. Gen is what I need in life. She makes me better and..."

"You really love her?"

"Breaking her heart when I left her was something that's eaten at me all this time. Now I'm working on fixing it and we're getting back to what made us happy."

"And she's just forgiven you for everything?"

"I mean she may not forgive everything but we're working to get past it."

"How can you work to get past something like leaving her for another woman and losing a baby?"

"Talking my friend. We're talking more and more with each other."

"It's been one night."

"Well, last night was a game-changer for us."

"You did not kiss in the rain." Derek is in disbelief with my telling of what happened.

"I did and it was wonderful. She was beautiful standing there with the rain dripping off her."

"Pouring." Derek corrects me. "It was pouring down."

"Either way she looked gorgeous."

"You seem like a different man?"

"Love can do that to you."

"You and Gen? I never thought she would take you back."

"We both had emotional days and just came to realize being apart is not worth it. We would rather work over our issues together than fighting against our feelings."

"And can you be the man she wants you to be?" I stop in my tracks making Derek look at me.

"I'll be whatever the hell she wants me to be!" Derek raises his brow at me. "I'm a changed man and it feels damn good!"

"All right." Derek nods his head and pats me on the shoulder.

"Are you gonna tell me where you're taking me?" I ask changing the subject.

"Why does it always have to be about the destination? Why can't it be about the journey?"

"Cause I'm wearing $300 shoes." I state as we continue to step through the mud.

"Can Gen handle your expensive taste?" Derek questions me.

"Gen comes from money. Don't let her laid back persona fool you. She's lived a life of luxury."

"Is that so? And have you met her family?"

"I've met some of her siblings and her mother."

"Didn't she throw water in your face?"

"Yes, Mrs. Deveraux is a very...she does not like me." I state bluntly.

"Deveraux?"

"Gen's parents are divorced and her mother kept her maiden name."