Short-Lived Happiness

I hope you all enjoy some of these sweet moments. I will give a warning that the end of this update will be the start to some of the upcoming emotional chapters.

"You should have seen the femur repair Callie allowed me to go solo on. I was a god in there. I rest that bone like it was nothing."

"You're sexy when you talk about surgery." Mark kisses my cheek and pours me more champagne.

"Callie has a hip dislocation that I'm going to be in charge of next week. It's going to be amazing. I'm going to help make someone walk and...it's going to be amazing." I drink the rest of my champagne. "Where are we going? The restaurant with the best mini Philly Cheese-steaks is on Hill Avenue." I remind Mark as I try and figure out where we are.

"Oh, I have something better."

"Better than mini cheesesteaks?" I ask Mark confused.

"Much better."

"Is there food involved because Derek throws lame parties and there's only ever tiny finger food. And I can only live off so much booze I need food and..."

"Gen." Mark cuts me off. "Do you remember our first date?" Mark asks me.

"Our first date the...the one where you took me to that fancy sushi place..." I stop as I see Mark shaking his head "Am I wrong?" I ask.

"Our first date was at that food park."

"Oh, you're right!" I say excitedly as I remember that day. "That was a good day."

"It was one of the first moments I knew I was falling for you."

"I thought that moment was..."

"You tried all different kinds of food. And even those you didn't like you were polite about it to the vendors all except that..."

"That chili!" I finish for Mark. "I remember that..."

"I remember you spitting it out so fast and your face turning beet red." Mark laughs at the memory.

"I don't know why anyone would eat chili that hot. I...there were ghost peppers in there and...you wouldn't stop laughing."

"Because you kept assuring me that it wasn't hot even though even smelling it you were sweating."

"I was not." I reply back with a huge grin on my face. The champagne is really getting to me.

"What I loved more is you ate like three spoonfuls before you spit it out in the trashcan." Mark is laughing so hard now.

"Well, you can't even handle jalapenos so I think I did pretty damn good. I still can't eat chili to this day."

"I know." Mark pulls me close to him as our car pulls to a stop.

"We're not near any restaurants." I state looking at our surroundings.

"Come with me." Mark holds out his hand for me and leads me out of the car.

"What..." I look around. "Is this the drive-in theater?" I ask and a screen in front of us starts playing videos of Mark and me. "Is that..."

"Gen...I remember breaking down to you after you asked me to Christmas with your family. I felt comfortable enough to be Mark the person and not Mark Sloan the womanizing Plastic Surgeon. You saw me for who I am and what I wanted to be. I...you showed me compassion when I didn't know someone could. I've loved you for a long time, Gen." The faint sound of My Girl is playing and Mark gets down on one knee. He has the most beautiful ring opened up for me to see. "Will you do me the honor of  being my wife?"