𝑻𝒘𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒚 𝑺𝒊𝒙.

I 026

I 026. I

𝑯𝒐𝒓𝒏𝒔 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑺𝒘𝒐𝒓𝒅𝒔

❝ donuts ❞

     THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE WERE NEVER FREE. She had learned that the hard way. It had been three years to the day that her mother left her, and every year she stayed in her cabin. Everyone at camp knew, minus the new demigods which she had helped through the barrier a few weeks earlier.

Her mood was down, and so were her spirits. She didn't have an urge to fight, or tease Luke, or even talk to Annabeth. The only thing she could do was hum the same song over and over again, that song and herself was all she had left of her mother, and she didn't want to lose them.

It hurt knowing her mother didn't want her. Stung, even. A price to pay for the amazing things she could do. All the girl wanted was to grow up and go to school. And to see the world with innocent eyes and not subjected to facing off against monsters every time she left camp.

But maybe, her mother knew that. Her mother knew there was no way she would survive on her own. And although she was left at the borders of camp, the girl ran after her. The first tome she was truly alone while she ran after her mother's red Mercedes. The one with the palm tree sticker on the back with the pink coconuts, and the small picture of both of them on the console which her mother always smiled at.

In her hands once she crumbled to the ground, was that very picture. Her mother had thrown it out the window and into the cold night air, leaving her child without warmth and a way back.

The girl sobbed for what seems like hours until a man leant down next to her. He had the same eyes and hair like her, but she just cried even harder. All he could do was hold onto her tightly while she screamed for her mother to come back, blubbering and wanting to sleep.

Now, sitting there in the purple cabin was enough to make her scream. And so she did. The whole camp heard, they heard her sobs, the cries and whimpers. But all the campers knew she had a tough life, and so did they. And anytime it was the day that was the worst in their lives, Ariadne had been there to hug them or sneak them cookies. And so they did the same for her, letting her be in peace.

Luke Castellan didn't know why happened. So when he showed up at her cabin door and bursted through, he immediately shut it and collapsed onto the ground to hold the small girl who was crying her heart out.

He didn't know if she was just having a bad day, or if demigod life became too much for her, but he didn't ask. The boy let her cry into his chest for what seemed like hours, tears staining his orange camp shirt.

When she had stopped, drying her eyes while sniffling, the boy stayed there. And he talked to her about his favorite movies or shows to cheer her up. What he ate and the countless jokes he had remembered for Annabeth's sake, or the amount of tickles he gave her.