Chapter 6 - New Living

"So Ushijima," My aunt sat across from us, "How long have you known my beautiful niece?" She pinched my cheeks from across the table, smiling at my annoyed expression.

"Not very long, for about two days?"

"Oh my!" She chewed slowly on the namasu, "What's got you two so close? The only person (Y/n)'s brought home is that Akira, and Akira is beyond normal."

Ushijima's expression faltered, "My dad died, (Y/n)'s old coach."

I'd almost dropped my chopsticks as I chocked on the tofu and rice at the back of my throat. I knew Ushijima was blunt, but this was on another level!

Aina-chan sighed, watching Ushijima with pity, "Coach Ushijima? He finally bit the dust, huh?"

"Auntie!" This conversation between two people who seem to not hold back any of their thoughts.. how are they responding so normally?

"Sit down, (Y/n), I'm having a conversation," She reached across the table, putting extra namasu in his bowl of rice, "That man was crazy, I don't remember a day he took a break from volleyball."

Ushijima gently nodded, thanking her for the food, "Volleyball was considered his wife and kid."

"Serves him right! The way he acted I wouldn't have considered him having a child," A chuckle left Ushijima's lips and my eyes shot to read his expression. Is he laughing? But he's wearing the same blank face he wears every second.

"I don't think anyone knew he had a child."

"What a good kid you are," She picked the namasu off my plate, placing it into his, "You deserve it."

"Au.." I watched him eat it unconditionally. I've never seen anyone get along with my aunt so quickly.

"So, (Y/n)," She clasped her hands together, studying me with a smile, "When were you planning on informing me of Coach Ushijima?"

"N-never.."

"You bitch!" A rough hand came crashing down on my head, "Wrong answer."

Is there ever.. I rubbed the top of my head ..a right one?

"Please take care of my girl, Ushijima. Her friend Akira has zero mental capability and (Y/n) herself is lacking in multiple departments."

"Yes ma'am." And he's just going along with it? I bitterly chewed on my rice. Auntie seems to be a better friend than me.

"If you know Coach Ushijima's her coach you must be aware of her name Old Man Spike!"

    Old Man Spike?

           Ushijima slyly agreed, "Yes, her nickname Senior Ace, it's quite an interesting name to be awarded at such a young age."

    "Goodness, why did I think of such a weird name," She giggled whilst covering her mouth, "How lame (Y/n) is sometimes, maybe that's why I thought of Old Man?"

       "Aina-chan," I grilled under my breath, watching her giggle cutely from across the table.

   "Well it was back in junior high, now all (Y/n) does is bring her crushes to the house so she can feed them old side dishes!"

  My cheeks flamed red, "Ushijima isn't my crush!"

     "W-when did I say that?" She glanced at Ushijima with a smirk, "Did I say that?"

     "You may have hinted at it, Auntie." And now he was calling her aunt? We should've went straight to his house, I couldn't handle their personalities clashing together.

      "My bad, (Y/n), you know I love to tease!"

         "Yes, Aina-chan, I am beyond aware," I pulled my chair from the table, walking to the sink to wash the dishes, "I'll clean."

    "Nope, not by yourself. Ushijima can help."

        A familiar presence appeared from behind me and a couple of unclean bowls landed in the sink, "I'll help."

     Ah.. then.. I scooted over, "I'll wash, you dry."

        The sound of my aunt squeaking back to the garage allowed me to relax. It may have been a short lived breakfast, but eating with her made a second seem like an hour. Her insensitive thoughts and actions could give me a heart attack.

     "I'm sorry," I paused, "About my aunt."

           "Why?" His hands swiftly dried the bowl I slid across the counter top.

     "Oh well, she speaks without thinking and she's kind of erratic. And her plants," I let out a sigh of relief, "I'm so glad you didn't say anything that'd anger her and her plants."

     "She reminds me of you," From the corner of my eye I saw a slight shift in his expression, from blank to interested? "I like her."

       He..

   I smiled, nodding to the rhythm of no music, "I was expecting a different reaction." Not that he'd really reacted at all.

    "She made me consider looking at his death a different way, that it's better to laugh at our past memories than dawn on them."

      Is that what she was doing? I should give my aunt more credit.. maybe she was smarter than she looked, and acted, and talked and— or maybe she just got lucky.

    "I guess she's more charming than she lets on," I glided a wet towel over a plate, "Eh, but, is it really okay for me to miss my second day of school?"

      His eyes darted to meet mine and I'd let out a sharp breath of shock— he's beautiful. "Do you not want to miss your second day?"

   I'd gotten so lost in his face I hardly managed to let out a word. "I.." My head shot down, how embarrassing, "I wanted to see the try out results, I wonder if I made it."

     "Akaashi said YOU did so you probably made it, but it's your right to see it yourself," He turned off the sink water, heading straight towards the garage door.

    What is he doing?

        I dried my hands on yesterday's school uniform following his wide steps, "Ushijima, wait!"

     "Auntie?" He peaked his head in the door, waving down my aunt who was in the middle of photographing her lilies, "We're going to head back to school."

       "What beautiful scholars," She waved us goodbye, "Oh, and take the bikes! I've heard horrible things about the public bus."

      The garage door shut and we headed for my families bikes parked just outside the door. "Do you want the pink or blue one, Ushijima?"

    "Pink." I held in my laughter, I guess color really has no gender to him.

       Now if we can hurry up and—

            I turned around, watching him struggle to keep upright on the bike. "Ushijima.." I mumbled under my breath, "Do you know how to ride a bike?"

   "I've watched Akaashi do it before," He slipped a little as his feet struggled to stay upright, "It looked easy enough."

    But we didn't have time to teach Ushijima how to ride a bike, even if it'd be adorable to watch. "Jump on the passenger seat of mine!"

     "I'm heavy, (Y/n)."

         "And I play volleyball! My legs were toned and made just for this day," The weight on my bike shifted to the back and I kicked up the brake, "Hold on to my waist, I'm gonna be riding fast."

   His warm arms slid across me and the situation suddenly seemed kind of funny. Shouldn't have been the other way around?