Chapter 7 - Shiratorizawhat

After a long ride uphill with Ushijima silently cheering me on, we arrived to the school. He hopped off the back of my bike as quickly as he could, hoping no one could see him in the embarrassing position behind me. He removed imaginary dust from his uniform.

"Here. It's cold." He said, as he held out his hand. In it was his trademark Shiratorizawa hoodie. I took it without hesitation, getting even more excited as I put it on.

"Thank you Ushi!" I pulled my hands back into the hoodie sleeves and waved my arms around like a maniac, not noticing the blushing Ushijima. Then it dawned on me. Did I just call this man Ushi? What is wrong with me?

Tendou approached us, eagerly typing something on his phone while he skipped at full speed. Two girls were trailing behind him, not mirroring his friendly expression. For some reason, their glares cut directly through me. The three came to a stop right in front of Ushijima and I.

"Tendou-san, can you go see if Semi-san has arrived yet?" one of the girls said.

Tendou nodded in agreement and skipped away, still looking at his phone.

"So, who the hell are you?" The white haired girl looked at me, her hand almost digging into her hip.

"I'm (L/n) (F/n). Why?" I asked, unbothered by their demeanors.

The other, brown haired, slightly taller girl walked closer to me until our faces were almost touching.

"Ushijima is taken. Stay away from him you ugly roach."

"Taken by who?" I asked, protectively grabbing his hand. I felt the sudden urge to squeeze it and tell him to leave, but I somehow knew he wouldn't.

"By his fans, by volleyball, and hopefully.." She stepped even closer. She stared into my eyes as she disconnected our hands, placing her perfectly manicured fingers between his.

"By me. Ushijima Wakatoshi, will you go out with me?"

+++++
I jumped again, this time hitting the ball directly to the back left corner. It stalled a little before bouncing up, making the usual loud sound. I wiped a bead of sweat off my forehead before looking to coach for approval. She nodded and I grabbed my towel off the bench. Since the death of my former coach (literally the day before) I decided that before each practice I would spend extra time practicing my attacking. I wanted to make him proud.

"Okay, so what gives?" Coach asked with a glare.

"What?" I asked as I put my water bottle to my lips.

"Your spikes are angrier than usual. More impulsive. Please be careful and don't let your emotions get the best of you. You can do better than that."

I nodded and set the bottle down. As I wiped my mouth off, I watched the other girls walk in. I noticed Tendou Sara was there, but not Ito. I smiled and waved at the red haired girl. She walked over quickly.

"WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED WITH USHIJIMA?"

"Please, quiet down." I shook her shoulder while frantically looking around. A few girls had heard and were beginning to glare suspiciously at me.

Coach interrupted. "SETTLE DOWN GIRLS. Today we are going to be sharing gym space with the boys team since the boys basketball team has a game. Everyone be respectful of their space, they will.."

"Pardon our intrusion." Coach Washijou stepped in, eyes grazing over everyone until he got to me. "So, he finally got the Senior Ace to come to Shiratorizawa. Good. New assets."

I rolled my eyes and smiled. What's up old man?"

Sara's (along with the rest of the team's) eyes darted between me and Washijou.

"You know him?"

"He almost killed me."

+++++
"Too slow. one hundred more down and back."

"Coach, my leg.."

"I played nationals with a broken ankle. Go."

"But.."

"Two hundred."

"Wait what?"

"Three hundred sprints."

"AGH!"

++++++
I shivered. Sara opened her mouth to ask another question, but it formed a disgusted expression as her brother walked in with the rest of the boys team. Ushijima looked better than ever, the gym light was shining directly onto his olive eyes.

I glared, remembering the events of that morning. 'He's probably dating that girl' I thought to myself as I got in line for warm up attacks.

"Stop staring at their asses and get to the court!" Washijou exclaimed. Many of the boys blushed while others hurried to the court. I laughed to myself.
++++++

"The next drill we are doing is Wing verse Wing. What you are going to do is set up like a normal game, however only my right and left wing spikers are allowed to attack the ball. Middles, focus on blocking." Coach moved to the bench, where the boys had their two minute practice break.

Gameplay Description - Might be confusing if you don't have vb knowledge but most of you have seen haikyuu so you'll be fine

"Nine-Nine" I yelled, already beginning my approach to the net. Sara had already gotten behind me to cover, ready to receive the ball if it was blocked. Kageyama Ichika, the team's starting setter, sent the ball directly into my hands. Perfect. I thought of this morning, about the girl who had called me a roach and removed my hand from Ushijima's. Why did I care so much? Why did I even think of that? Why-
The ball slammed down with as much force as I could muster, right between the two back row players. Everyone had moved up to block having seen my power during tryouts, So there were plenty of openings in the back row.

Silence filled the court for a few seconds as the sound of the ball echoed.

"That was WEAK." A voice I would recognize anywhere exclaimed from the sidelines.

"Kuroo?" I asked with tears welling in my eyes.

"What's up, Old man spike?"