Putting Glue In Our Veins

*unedited

Harper

Well, this sure sucks, doesn't it? I'm currently staring at the underside of the RV's roof as the first light of the morning glares in through the small slits in the closed shutters of this window. I got very little sleep last night. Why? Satan knows. Probably cause I was too busy running my memory through every single little thing I've ever done wrong in the history of ever. Sucks to be secretly self-conscious. Wouldn't wish it on anyone. It's a lonely world.

"Morning Harper, I found a couple of books for you." It's Glenn. "Uh... The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides... Hold Your Tongue by Deborah Masson... Twisted by Steve Cavanagh and Talking With Psychopaths And Savages by Christopher Berry-Dee. Didn't know about that last one -- it's not exactly non-fiction, but it looks like a good read. I couldn't find any important skills books besides Knitting For The Absolute Beginner by Alison Dupernex, didn't think you'd be interested, but I picked it up anyway, just in case--"

The sudden pair of arms slotting around his body cut him off. I leant into him, hugging him close. "You are a lifesaver, Mr Rhee. Though I have to warn you, I'll have gone through all of those in less than a week and have my boredom piqued enough to force my hand and want to read that knitting book. In other words, do this another couple of times and you, sir, will have won yourself a lifetime supply of 'I Got Your Back, Buddy.' " He laughed.

"You got it, Captain." He chuckled, hugging me back. "Anyone ever tell you you're a good hugger?"

"Yep, my sister loved my hugs back in the day." Glenn looked shocked.

"You had a sister?!? When were you gonna tell me!?" I chuckled.

"I wasn't," I said simply as we parted from our hug. "Lucille wasn't-- isn't someone I talk about a lot. Don't get me wrong, we were close... but not after some asshat married her and skipped off into the sunset with her to Georgia. I'm just praying I don't see her as one of those things." He nodded.

"I understand. How about we make a deal?" I cocked an eyebrow. "You and me, we have each other's backs, and we stick by each other like glue. We look after one another -- sorta like a brother-sister bond. Don't let anything come between us. If you find her, she'll become my sister too. If we find my parents, they become yours too. I'll get you your books, and we'll build a friendship on that. Look after each other. Don't let the other do anything stupid--" He was rambling.

"Alright, alright, deal. Let's do it. Friends til the end, buddy." He grinned widely. We hugged again.

"So I can call you my sister?" Glenn asked, holding down the excitement in his voice.

"Go ahead. Brothers And Sisters In Arms." He looked at me weirdly for a second. "Unbreakable, unquestionable loyalty," I explained. "You gotta plan, I back you, no questions asked. A military relationship is stronger than blood. We won't need to be blood to hold a bond." I paused, letting him file the information into his smart brain. "More like glue." He looked me in the eyes with a weird, questioning look. "In other words, we're effectively putting glue in our veins, sound good?" I asked, an unauthorised, amused smile must've given my dumbass joke away, for he stopped for a minute and shook his head.

"Sometimes I worry about your sense of humour."

"Already? Damn, that must've been a record for me." I grinned, letting go of him and immediately punching the air with the arm is hurt less to raise. "Fuck yeah! Beating those high scores in the ass!" Glenn laughed.