Your Sorry Limp Noodle Ass

*unedited

Harper

I had just about finished packing up when the air conditioning stopped and the lights went out I shared a confused look with Daryl before we headed out into the hallway, hearing the others complaining about the same things.

"Wha's goin' on? Why's everythin' turned off?" Daryl asked for me. Jenner whisked the bottle of whiskey out of Daryl's hand without slowing down.

"Energy use is being prioritized." I narrowed my eyes, following him beside Daryl down the hallway and toward the big room again.

Dale frowned. "Air isn't a priority? And lights?"

Jenner drank straight from the bottle. "It's not up to me. Zone Five is shutting itself down."

"Hey! Hey, what tha' hell does that mean?" Daryl called after him. Jenner said nothing but only continued walking. Daryl grew annoyed. Yelling this time. "Hey, man, I'm talkin' to you! What do you mean it's shutting itself down? How can a building do anything?"

Rick, T-dog, Glenn and Shane appear out of thin air as Jenner answered. "You'd be surprised."

We enter the big room and continue to follow this secretive jackass down further into it. "Jenner, what's happening?" Rick asked.

"The system is dropping all non-essential uses of power. It's designed to keep the computers running to the last possible second. That started as we approached the half-hour mark." Jenner pointed to the digital clock. "Right on schedule." The doctor took another long drink from the bottle of whiskey. He handed the bottle back to Daryl who angrily snatched it back. "It was the French." He said to Andrea.

"What?" She asked, the confusion reigning over her features.

"They were the last ones to hold out as far as I know. While our people were bolting out the doors and committing suicide in the hallways, they stayed in the labs til the end. They thought they were close to a solution." I narrowed my eyes. That's all past tense. What the hell happened?

"What happened?" Jacqui asked.

"The same thing that's happening here. No power grid. Ran out of juice. The world runs on fossil fuel. I mean, how stupid is that?" Jenner asked, chuckling to himself.

"Let me tell you--" Shane began.

"Shut your mouth, Shane, I'm done with your bullshit!" I silenced him before turning to the rest of our group. "Pack your stuff, we're getting out of here, now!"

"Oh, okay." Jacqui nodded and the group turned to leave and get packed.

A shrill alarm began blaring, distracting everyone from leaving to pack.

"What's that?" Shane and Carl asked at the same time.

"Thirty minutes to decontamination." VI's voice sounded.

"Doc, what's going on here?" Daryl demanded. Jenner scanned his badge on the computer system and entered a security code into the keypad.

"Everybody! Y'all heard Harper!" Shane ordered.

"Get your stuff and let's go! Go now! Go!" Rick yelled.

"Let's go." T-dog decided, heading for the door along with the rest of the group.

"Come on!" Glenn called.

"Let's hurry this up!" I yelled, ushering them toward the door faster. Before we'd even gotten to the door it slammed shut. I turned to stare at Jenner. Did he just-