Scary Ol' Marine Here

*unedited

Harper

A slight nudge to my shoulder had me up on my feet, knife in hand and up against someone's throat in one second. I recognised those blue eyes and sighed, taking the knife away from his throat and putting it back into its sheath. "Sorry, Daryl." He grunted.

"Remind me never ta wake ya up again. I'm leavin' some other unlucky bastard ta get 'imself killed by yer unconscious urges ta kill us all." I snorted.

"Did you even see yourself last night? You all-but amputated my damn arm, Squirrel Boy, you're no better." He huffed and we picked up our stuff and started following our deer's tracks again, this time, with a pretty little staff to help us on our way.

After a while, I started to recognise the forestry. We had chased the deer back in the direction of the camp, eventually, Daryl and I emerged only to be faced with our deer lying down dead with a massive hole where its neck should've been, a geek sprawled out headless beside it, and every single man we have in camp standing there pointing all types of different weapons at us. I noticed the new guy amongst them instantly, the guy, who had a pretty sharp, officer look about him met my eyes with big blue ones that were weirdly filled with guilt.

Narrowing my eyes and cocking my head to the side, I noticed that the only man not currently with us was Merle. I gave him a 'Where The Fuck Did You Come From?' and a 'What In Fuck's Name Are You So Guilty About?' simultaneously. He avoided my gaze, rousing my suspicion.

Focusing on a royally pissed off Daryl now, I realised he was trying to get in Dale's face. I snaked an arm out and grabbed Daryl back by the collar of his shirt. "Leave it, Squirrel Boy, we've got more important issues to tend to." He growled, turning around and knocking my arm off of his collar and shot me an angered questioning look. I gestured to his squirrels and he nodded, leading the way back to camp. I yanked my throwing knife out of the deer's ass and followed, only for new guy to tap me on my shoulder.

I quirked an eyebrow at him and he begins talking. "You're Harper, right?"

"Who's asking?" I asked, stopping and placing my hands on my hips, leaning all my weight on my left leg and bending my right leg slightly at the knee as I waited for my answer.

"Rick Grimes." My eyebrows shot up.

"As in Lori and Carl Grimes?" He nodded. My eyes met Shane's and I instantly recognised the fake happiness that Lori's husband was back from the dead. I'd heard a little bit about how Rick was his partner in crime in the King County part of Georgia, and so far, this man is meeting up to a lot of the high expectations I'd unknowingly put on him.

Rick was about to open his mouth to tell me something important when Daryl started to yell for Merle. "Merle! Merle! Get yer ugly ass out here! I got us some squirrel! Let's stew 'em up." I frowned when I saw the alarmed look in Rick's eyes.

Rick turned to me. "You're probably not gonna like what happened, but I need you with me right now." He hissed at me under his breath, a pleading look in his eyes. I narrowed my eyes.

"Yeah whatever, but if you did something dumb you're gonna get it," I mumbled as he thanked me.

"Daryl, just slow up a bit. I need to talk to you." Shane told the angered man child.

"'Bout what?"

"About Merle. There was a-- There was a problem in Atlanta." Shane continued. I frowned, taking a position which would allow me to intervene when I had too.

"He dead?" I gulped slightly. If he'd died they wouldn't be making sure they had me poised and ready.

Shane looked unwilling to go on, but he did anyway. "We're not sure."