The Captain And The Squirrel Boy

*unedited

Glenn

"If bad ideas were an Olympic event, this would take the gold." My voice trembled. Rick's decided we're smothering ourselves in geek blood and guts to get out of here alive. When I say we, he means me and him. Out on the street. Surrounded by walking corpses that want nothing more than to eat us alive. Yeah, you understand how bad an idea this is. Cause Rick certainly doesn't.

"He's right. Just stop, okay? Take some time to think this through." Morales suggested.

Unfortunately, Rick's hellbent on this completely, utterly lovely idea to get us all killed. "How much time? They already got through one set of doors, that glass won't hold forever." We're not asking for forever, Rick. He threw a raincoat at me.

I was dreading this, but unfortunately, when you're backed into a corner there's not much you can do, and no one warned me that time speeds up when you're a couple of missteps away from death.

Time to die then I guess. Was the only thought in my mind as I mimicked the way a corpse walked alongside Rick. I was covered in blood and guts and corpse parts, but oh man, it seemed to be working -- at least the two in the alley didn't start eating us alive or even trying too.

I guess Rick's plan wasn't so much of a death trap, as soon as we came out from under the bus, we waited for a couple of seconds amongst Them, and... nothing happened. They just wandered by, no care in the world. I sucked in a slow shaky breath as we began to walk through the throng of geeks.

------

Harper

My leg bounced ten-to-the-dozen. I was sat on a log staring intently at the C.B. which was sat up on top of the RV where Dale stood, staring through binoculars over the treeline and the cliff edges. Shane nudged me.

"You in there, Captain?" I flicked my eyes away from the C.B. and over to his dark eyes. It wasn't a very well-kept secret that I'd stumbled upon one day while hunting in the trees with Merle and a very pissed off Daryl. In fact, Daryl hadn't even been all that pissed off about my own awkwardly placed footsteps, more so about the noises that Shane and Lori had been making in those shrubs. A flicker of a smile moved over my face at the memory of Daryl almost being seen by the two lovebirds after he grumbled especially loudly at how they were scaring off the game. "Hey, Harper?" I blinked a couple of times as he waved a hand over my face.

"Hmm?"

"I was just asking you about the way you handled talking to that man, it's like you'd done it a couple times before?" Shane asked me, watching me.

"Oh, my mum was a police officer back home. She brought the three of us long-range walkies for Christmas one year, and we used them all the time, course, we picked up her habit of using certain copper terms. The Christmas before she passed actually. Mine and Lucy's childhood went downhill after that..." I murmured, ignoring his apology and standing up to follow Daryl into the trees.

"Ya comin' with then, Captain?" He referenced my use of the walkie and I sighed.

"Did everyone hear that?" I groaned, following closely behind him now.

"Hard not ta when we were all standin' 'round watchin' ya try ta talk to 'im." When we reached the forest, the conversation dropped as usual with Daryl. He preferred silence until he'd caught an abundance of creatures, enough to fill up camp for the night, and then, as he made his way back, he might, if he was in a good mood, decide to mutter a few words.

A few minutes into the hunt and he had five of his squirrels on his rope, and I had three hares and a snake that we'd co-operated to take down, on the loop of string Daryl had given me (and taught me how to tie my catches to the twine too).