I've Been Carved

*unedited

Harper
"Fight the fear,
Fight the fear,
Blood, sweat, tears, make the pain taste sweeter."

Sitting in a camping chair beside the fire, I kicked up my feet onto Glenn's lap, much to his displeasure, as I flipped through a thriller thanks to my favourite Pizza God.

I could feel anxiety radiating off of some poor soul behind me. I looked up, shielding my eyes from the sun, to see Dale, wringing his hat nervously, shifting his weight from foot-to-foot, eyeing the barn where Randall sat awaiting his fate.

"Dale?" I asked. He jumped as if he'd been subjected to an electric shock or something.

"Oh! Harper! Sorry, I guess I'm a little jumpy today." I smiled warmly up at him.

"It's all good, buddy, I get it. You don't wanna see him get killed, right?"

Dale sighed, a hand reaching up to rub at his forehead as if he had a headache. "Yeah, I just don't want to condemn an innocent man to death."

I nodded. "I get it. Maybe I should stage an intervention last minute or something." Dale eyed me with his large brown eyes. "I don't know, I'm not really comfortable with it, but Shane'll get last say. Rick's right hand man and all."

Dale shook his head. "Its corrupt. We shouldn't just decide like this. One five minute conversation over a man's life. It's not right."

"You're right. Besides, I'm sure Shane probably sees my sister as a threat too in his twisted mind." Dale nodded.

"I heard the tent pegs mysteriously reappeared." Dale commented.

I chuckled. "Yeah, Daryl had the time of his life messing with people like that. It was kinda fun to watch." Dale smiled, properly for a couple seconds, but it was gone too soon.

"You two have something special." I threw my head back and groaned.

"Since when did everyone suddenly find my life interesting? I just wanna be a sexy Marine in the apocalypse. Why does that attract attention of the entire planet?!" Dale and Glenn chuckled slightly, though both of them were nervously induced laughs.

"Since the apocalypse begun and there were no soaps on TV." Carol hummed as she walked by. I gasped in mock offence.

"So I'm just a source of entertainment now?" A few laughs sounded and I groaned, throwing my head backward again. "I'm glad you all find my trauma funny." More laughter.

I stopped, chuckling slightly. "Okay maybe that was a little bit funny."

———

Lucille and I chatted, passing time, until Rick swaggered over to us. "Hey, Rick-a-dilly!" I called at the same time as Lucy called out "Rick-a-dillion! Good to see ya!"

Rick only chuckled. "Hey, Harper, Lucille, I was wondering if you two would wanna get out with T-dog, Glenn and Maggie back to that over-run garage Glenn and you found? We're pretty low on fighters for such a large group. And I thought you'd get on better together and give the rest of us a solid reason for us—and Shane to trust you, Lucille."

Lucy cuffed him around the head. "Call me Lucy, goddammit!" She laughed, and Rick did too. "But yeah we're up for it." I, in turn, slapped the back of her head.

"Don't speak for me, sis, even if you do know what I'm gonna say." She returned the favour, slapping my head.

"Respect your elders!" He scolded. "You never know when our hearts will give out with the strain of old age." She tried her damndest to look even mildly serious. It fail miserably. She was on the ground rolling with laughter in less than a second.