Manicure Your Nails

*unedited

Harper
"I've idolized, I've memorized your face,
Just in case, I need it last me eternity."

I must've spent a good eighteen hours sleeping in the bed Carl had been in for two weeks.

When I did finally wake up, Pizza God sat beside me, reading one of the first books he'd collected for me on his runs into Atlanta. I couldn't help but smile with the adorable way that his eyebrows furrowed, flipping the next page to read on as I could see the way he imagined the events of the story appearing in front of him.

My eyes scanned the rest of the room, only finding the large, heavy pressure on the bed between my legs as another presence in the room. Knowing this to be Xena, I moved my hand to rest on the back of her head, and she jumped up, startling Glenn, who dropped his book and almost fell out of the chair.

Laughing at Glenn, I didn't realise that Xena was about to flop onto me, when she did, it knocked the air out of my lungs.

"Xena--" I gasped, still trying to laugh at Glenn who wasn't the happiest with my favourite dog.

Glenn, ignoring my gasping, started talking. "Hershel checked Xena's health. She's in good condition, and she's pretty young too, Hershel estimated six to ten months old."

"Good--" I began between breaths. "But, can you--" I struggled to inhale. "Get this heavy weight off me?"

Glenn, grinning mischievously, just leant back in his chair, a cruel twinkle in his eye. "This," he gestured to Xena, "Is for leaving my sorry ass here alone for so long."

Groaning dramatically, I went limp, letting my eyes flutter shut. Glenn leapt up from his chair and hauled Xena off me, resting two fingers against my neck to check my pulse.

I sighed in pleasure, reopening my eyes. "Two can play the devious game, Glenn."

The panicked look all over Glenn's face disintegrated, as I chuckled. "You're an asshole, Harper, you know that?" I only laughed a little harder.

"Hard not to."

Glenn flopped back into his seat, as relaxed as relaxed can be in this new world. He's looking like butter wouldn't melt. What's got him so happy-go-lucky?

He closed his eyes, leaning back again. "What the hell happened whilst I was out for the count, Pizza God?"

Glenn just let a contented smile spread like strawberry jam all over his chops.

"Oh, come on, tell me!" He said nothing. "You didn't--get laid, did you?" He shot up like a bullet, eyes wide open, staring at me.

"How did you know?" His question hit me so fast, and so hard that I'm sure I looked like I'd just gotten slapped with the wrath of Hades himself.

"Goddamn, Lil' Bro! I was joking, holy hell did you actually get it on with some hot lassie?" Glenn blushed furiously.

"J-joking, r-right..." He sat back, but it was nowhere near as laidback as he was before hand.

"Glenn," I raised my eyebrows at him, leaning my forehead toward him, and looked up at him. "You can trust me to keep my pretty little mouth shut, honey."

He sat there, still as a statue, until he decompressed like an untied balloon, taking off his hat to run his hand through his short, dark hair. A heavy sigh left him and he nodded. "Okay, yeah, I uh--I mean, we uh--Maggie and I--"